All in one printer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 27th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #1
Capt. Quirk

All in one printer?

I am looking to upgrade my Epson all in one unit, for one that works. Are there any that will also print DVDs? Will any flatbed printer print on a DVD face, or do I need a special unit?
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There are a few DVD printers made by primavera and Bravo (I think) but they are a lot more money than the epson. Even the Canon printers that print DVDs have the feature disabled in the US models.
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

I know some folk have regular flatbed printers, that will work with disks. I'm not sure which ones, or if any flatbed will work.
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If by "all in one" you mean one of the printer/scanner/copy machine/fax machine units, I don't think there are any available that also print on CD/DVD faces.

The Epson Stylus Photo R200, R220, R300 (there may be some more models in this series) do an excellent job of laying ink on the disk. The included application isn't the greatest layout tool, but really does print well, and you can do your layouts in photoshop or whatever and import bitmaps into the Epson PrintCD tool.

The printed disks really look great. You do need the inkjet-printable media.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have found that a "all in one" printer uses way to many resources and often times doesn't work on the older home PCs very good. I use the R220 and it's great for what I do. I would not suggest it for production work though. You can almost buy another printer for what the ink cost in many cases.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

There is so one company, and only one, that make printers that print on CDs. Epson. And, yes they do have an all-in-one unit, the R700. I like the all in one's, as they take up less space than the individual scanners, printers, and a copier.

The problem I have, is the unit I have is an Epson, that has been having progressivly worse problems. I only had it a short time before I was getting scanner errors. Epson wanted me to pay for the shipping to them, and back. That is too much cost and trouble for a $100 machine. So, I am leary of Epsons now, and looking for a more reliable replacement.
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

This Canon will print on CD/DVDs. Other Canon models do - older ones as well.

http://www.canon.com.au/products/hom...rs/ip4200.html
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

Thanks for pointing that out Dionyssios. I was surfing and calling all day yesterday, and the Pixma never came up. I believe I even called Canon, and they told me they had nothing that would print on CDs. Thanks again, I now have a new option, other than Epson.
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:35 AM   #9
Capt. Quirk

Ok... I just got off the phone with Canon. I asked about printers that can print on CDs, and the woman assured me they had none. As I'm looking at the Canon website, in the Pixma description where it is clearly stated it WILL print on CDs, she is saying it will not. Nothing in the US will do this, but the same thing in Australia will. Is this really messed up, or is it me?
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM   #10
Regular Crew

In Europe they do print on CDs. I guess the lady was wrong? Why don't you get to a store, buy a printable CD and ask for a demonstration? Or just take a look at the box contents of the demo unit? There should be a CD tray.
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:12 AM   #11
Capt. Quirk

I guess it depends on if there are any physical differences in US and the units in the rest of the world. They are steadfast in telling me nothing will work in the US, except Epson. The Pixma line had one unit, the MP450, that is an all in one. But doesn't say if it will do CDs. Of course, it seems to be a waste of time asking any sales people here about it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring