External Firewire DVD burner? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 27th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #1
Wrangler

External Firewire DVD burner?

Has anyone successfully burned DVDs with an external firewire DVD burner.

I'm quite happy editing on my laptop so I'd just like to add a 1394 DVD burner.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have been using a Pioneer 104 (A04) in an ESBuy firewire enclosure for about 8 months now. All the DVD authoring software recognizes it just fine. No hassles under either Win98 or Win XP Home.

ESBuy.com is where you want to go. They have been a good source to deal with.

I had been using their media as well, but they switched suppliers for their ESBuy Gold 1x DVD-R and when all of them came back from my customers, I switched to Maxell - but thats a different story.......
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #3
Wrangler

Thank you that's great news! And greatly simplifies my life :-)
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 08:13 AM   #4
New Boot

I use a Pioneer A04 enclosed in a Pyro Drive kit enclosure. Works great!!! I use Win 2000 and it instantly recognized the configuration. I purchaed both the drive and the drive enclosure at www.videoguys.com

Good luck! Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 10:01 AM   #5
Miles J.

Great drive enclosure

We've been very happy with the great, inexpensive removable enclosures made by genica. Computer Geeks still seems to have the best on price on those (I was shocked to see it else where for three times that price!) Here is the link:

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210

Of course this won't work with laptops BUT I hope it helps others. It's FAR less expensive than all these external enclosures, and you never have to mess with power bricks, etc.

They use bus speed so they are very fast and they are backward compatible with older ATA standards, which makes them great for using those older hard drives for extra backups, etc. I will soon order their 2.5 to 3.5 adapter (http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108) so that I may reuse old laptop drives as well.

I have no relationship to the Geeks, just a satisfied customer.

Best,

Miles

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring