How to make a 23.967fps DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old April 19th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #1
New Boot

How to make a 23.967fps DVD?

I've searched pretty hard to find the info I'm needing, but I just can't seem to find the technical answers. I'm getting ready to export a 30min. short film out of Avid to be put onto DVD. It's frame rate is 23.976fps. I'm wanting it to play smoothly (not stuttery/strobey like it does now).

I'm using DVD Studio Pro right now, but I'll probably ultimately be using Adobe Encore to create the DVD. I've figured out how to display the 16:9 using the anamorphic, but how do I get the DVD to display my frame rate correctly? Is there a particular format that I should be exporting in to make frame rate work correctly on DVD?

Thanks!
Doug J.
Doug Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #2
Jubal 28

You should be able to export an MPEG-2 which is progressive with a framerate of 23.976.

Then, if your authoring software is capable of it (Encore is), you can encode this file to disc as a 23.976 file, but with flags for the insertion of pulldown. The DVD player will use the flags to insert 2:3 pulldown for display on a standard TV. A progressive-scan player playing to a progressive display will be able to play back in 24p, with no pulldown inserted.

I don't have Encore in front of me to check the exact steps, but it should either just be a simple project setting, or it should be able to detect exactly what the file is and encode it correctly.

You can, by the way, have multiple frame rates on the same DVD.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #3
New Boot

Is anyone familiar enough with Avid Adrenaline to know if it's capable of exporting an MPEG-2? I can't find an export for that codec for the life of me and I feel like this whole process would be a lot easier if I could just export my movie as an mpeg-2.

All of my attempts of getting the DVD software to read my file and play it correctly in a DVD player have failed so far, and I think it's because the files I'm creating are communicating with the DVD software right for it to know that supposed to do the pulldown stuff.

Thanks for the help!!
Doug Johnston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring