HDV or SD to SD DVD workflow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 7th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #1
Major Player

HDV or SD to SD DVD workflow?

Hello! I am working on a project, where final result will be SD (720x576 Pal) DVD.
I will shoot on Canon H1 camera. Any advantage to shoot HDV vs. SD format?? Appreciate feedback!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It takes longer and requires more computer time and space but shooting in HD, editing in HD, and then converting on export produces a better image. It's really a question of how much HD space you have, how fast your computer is, and if you want to take the extra time to work in HD and then have a rather long conversion process down to SD. But it will look better.
Nathan Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Nathan, thanks a lot! That gives a prospective I am on dual 2gig G5 with 2.5 Gig Ram, hope it's good enough... Do you edit in native HDV timeline or something different, AIC, DVCpro HD??? Appreciate further feedback..
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Ram

Oleg,

Are you on a G5? Is so, that is enough space. But make sure if you are capturing and editing in HDV, that you have a sizable hard drive. If you can 500gb
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

A G5 has plenty of computing horsepower to handle HDV. I actually wrote a response about HDV vs. AIC in the HD final cut pro forum. Take a look for more info. There are advantages and disadvantages of either format. Whatever import you choose, I would shoot HD, capture HD, edit in HD, and then use compressor to transcode down to SD (even though your target format is PAL 720 X 576 you're going to be exporting to a frame of 720 X 405 which will maintain your 16X9 aspect ratio. Or if you're going to DVD you just select a PAL anamorphic DVD setting and the widescreen aspect ratio will be maintained automatically. Best of luck!
Nathan Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks again, I will give it a try to capture all in HDV, however, I accidently captured some 45 min in AIC, my main concern is Slow Motion, I have to go about 40 %. Will try Twixtor, another thing I've read chnging frame rate through Compressor, and then do all the cutting...
Anyone had specific results with Slow Motion editing in HDV timeline??

Regards, Oleg.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring