4:3 and 16:9 material on a DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Major Player

4:3 and 16:9 material on a DVD?

Can you have both 4:3 and 16:9 content on the same DVD? If I'm not mistaken, the answer is yes IF each movie on the DVD maintains a constant aspect ratio. Is that correct?

Why am I asking? I want to shoot 16:9 video for a friend's DVD project, but he already has manyh months of 4:3 footage that he also needs included. He doesn't want me shooting in 16:9 for fear of something not displaying correctly.

Here's what I think and would like someone to confirm:

Depending on NLE settings, clips on the timeline can either retain their original aspect ratio or be stretched to the project's chosen aspect ratio. In the case of using 4:3 clips in a 16:9 project, the 4:3 footage will not look distorted but will display with black bars on the sides. Is that correct?

Thanks for chiming in!

TJB
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Tim,

You can certainly mix both aspects in a single movie, if you squeeze/letterbox as necessary to convert all footage to a single aspect.

You can also include footage of both aspects as separate movies, provided your DVD authoring software supports multiple VST's.

Josh

Last edited by Joshua Provost; May 24th, 2006 at 08:59 AM.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't know which software you're using for authoring, but DVD Studio Pro allows you to flag each clip you add to the DVD as 4:3 or 16:9 in order to tell it how to display it. This allows you to have different aspect ratios without having to worry too much. I'm not sure if other software does this or not so it may be something to look into.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Trustee

you need a dvd authoring app that's capable of doing multiple vts's:
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/Helppro/vts.htm

most cheap dvd authoring software will not do that... but dvdlabpro will:
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring