DVD Menus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old July 14th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Menus

How much work do you guys put into the overall DVD experience. Do you guys add motion menus, scene selections, transitions videos, first plays???

Do you have samples online?
Yoochul Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

How much work do you guys put into the overall DVD experience.
((Lots, its one of our fortes and one of teh main reasons people hire us. The "wow factor" hooks them, the content reels them in.
From cover art work, to the motion clip of teh main menu, through to the images in teh scene selection screen its all made to "feel" like their about to watch a movie. ))

Do you guys add motion menus,
((yes. I do 2 differnt types. A 1 minute clip of footage which DOESNT show all that much coz tht ruins the surprise. The other is to create an animated growing up slideshow as the menu video. This works well, goes for about 3 minutes))

scene selections,
((Yes static screen, no music))

transitions videos, ((huh?? oh i get ya.. err.. no.. transition clips can be cheesy and piss people off when theyre trying to get the show started. I find that transitioned parts in DVD menus annoy the crap out of me, so i dont do it to my clients. ))

first plays???
((First play is the Dolby Digital trailer of the clients choice. If they dont choose, i choose one for them. It gets their attention as theres only a handful of us here in Aus who are licensed. Many make the claim of offering surround but none have the proof to be able to do it properly or to do it to the global standards set by Dolby Labs (i been in audio for 13 years, so it makes a differnce)
U must be licensed to do this i might add (ie trailers and actually advertise the fact that u deliver in teh format).
Moving on... Before the feature starts, i have my logo rolling out <i have different animations depending on teh mood of the piece> and at the end of the feauture, i leave a Best wishes message with out website as the signiature. ))

I dont do end credits anymore. I used to, but it took up too much time, (especially when 800guests rock on up and the client wants teh gust list as the closer. I do TV style opening sequences if the client wants to pay for it, but theyre not cheap. These are effects driven pieces with advanced compositing (Combustion) and particle effects (Combustion and Particle Illusion).
It also requires the bridal party to act like dickheads so we can get that corny shot of them for the freezeframe. Glenn wrote about end credit "how to" a while back, and to get this kinda stuff, u really do need a bridal party thats willing to let go of their inhibitions.. much like the 17yr old russian bridesmaid i shot once.. my goodness could that girl move... aaaaaaaanyways..

"Do you have samples online?"
Nup

I think that answered ur q bro
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoochul Chong
How much work do you guys put into the overall DVD experience. Do you guys add motion menus, scene selections, transitions videos, first plays???

Do you have samples online?
No first plays for me. I just get on with it.

I generally try to create the menu using the wedding colors. Nothing fancy. Just a main menu and one "chapters" (scenes) menu which is text only:

http://s169829258.onlinehome.us/crap/menu.wmv

And a simple jacket as well:

http://s169829258.onlinehome.us/crap/Jacket.jpg
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Work put in to over all DVD experience, approx. 4-6hrs for 2 types of menus (disc1 and disc 2), Case insert and image on disc

Motion Menus: Yes I do except for scene selections like Peter: just a pic with the chapters on it no music

Transition videos: Not yet, thinking about one soon for first crazy client I get.

First plays: just company logo and information

Online samples: www.quincevideo.com/menujd.wmv

I don't film weddings, just Quinceaneras and other stuff.

Last edited by Monday Isa; July 15th, 2006 at 11:15 PM.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I would warn anyone who intends on using trademarked logos NOT to unless theyre licensed to do so. Logos might make teh product all spiffy and professional looking, but theres more to placing a format logo on a jacket than just the art.
Dont get me wrong, if people are licensed, im all for the use of art in as many elements as possible, be it marketing or product packaging, however people use these logos for marketing a product which has not been verified by the trademark/technology owners.

This in turn raises questions as to legitimacy of the product, the format itself and the business as a whole (considering the business ISNT licensed to use said logos).
It also makes it difficult for legitimate licensees to sell their work using these same formats.
Not that there is seemingly more competition out there, but the fact that the general public do not know any better, which in turn is misleading them into a product/format which the company in question has no right to advertise or affiliate themselves with.

This is a major issue with Dolby Labs as well as DTS, not to mention the DVD Forum. These 3 are the largest trademarks known to Digital Versatile Disc and theyve been grossly abused, and which i might add, are being cracked down upon to the extreme extent of the trademark laws.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Neva mind, found the answer
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks for the input. some great samples out there.
Yoochul Chong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring