FCP HDV24p export to NTSC DVD at 29.97 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP HDV24p export to NTSC DVD at 29.97

Hey guys,

I think this is mainly to clarify and streamline the process of shooting 24p, editing in FCP 5.1.2 as 23.98, and exporting for NTSC DVD at 29.97.

Now that FCP has updated to 5.1.2, I am starting to shoot 24p (today). I am importing the footage with the easy setup of HDV24p and changing (as Tim said) the capture options to be 23.98 instead of 29.97. So now I have my footage in the timeline (as 23.98) and I can edit away.

My question is on output. I have my finished sequence and I go to export, using compressor. I am in the middle of reading the manual now, but there was not an option for advanced pulldown (addition to footage for 29.97). I did, however, choose NTSC Animorphic for the video format and it exported the file as 29.97. Is it really that easy or am I missing something? My next step is to burn a DVD and try it, but as for process, how am I looking?

Thanks,
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Major Player

First, In FCP export your time-line as a QuickTime .mov....
This will retain all of your settings.
Then CLOSE FCP and open Compressor.....
Export your QT .mov using one of the DVD presets....
The m2v files creates flags which tell the DVD
player to add 3:2 pulldown in for viewing on a TV.
No need to worry about converting 23.98 to 29.97.....
Try a test....
Old September 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mike. Actually, before you posted, I exported a QT movie using current settings. I closed FCP and opened Compressor and drag/dropped the file to the window. I then picked Advanced Format Conversions>DV NTSC Animorphic (since it was 16x9). I counted the frames in QT player and it was 29 a sec (for minutes not divisible by 10). Should I just choose DVD Best Quality 16x9 instead?

Are there any other considerations I need to take into account if my final output is going to broadcast... like a commercial I am shooting 24p?

Thanks,
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #4
Wrangler

NTSC DVDs don't actually need a pulldown added for 29.97. MPEG2 allows you to create a file with 23.98fps. The DVD player adds the appropriate pulldown fields if needed. If you playback on a progressive DVD player connected to a progressive display, then pulldown is not required. This is how most Hollywood titles are encoded.
It is very cool and allows for more efficient compression.

I think all of the Compressor presets for Mpeg2 will maintain the source frame rate, so you don't even really need to think about it. You don't even have to worry about the anamporhic flag because you can always quickly turn it on for your track in DVD Studio Pro.
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chapman
Hey guys,

Now that FCP has updated to 5.1.2, I am starting to shoot 24p (today). I am importing the footage with the easy setup of HDV24p and changing (as Tim said) the capture options to be 23.98 instead of 29.97. So now I have my footage in the timeline (as 23.98) and I can edit away.

Thanks,
guys i hate to do this, but, i just went to apple's website and couldn't find anything on fcp 5.1.2. is there now support for hdv24p.
Maurice Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Jolly
guys i hate to do this, but, i just went to apple's website and couldn't find anything on fcp 5.1.2. is there now support for hdv24p.
Read the thread at the top of this forum.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75138
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
NTSC DVDs don't actually need a pulldown added for 29.97. MPEG2 allows you to create a file with 23.98fps.
I think all of the Compressor presets for Mpeg2 will maintain the source frame rate, so you don't even really need to think about it. You don't even have to worry about the anamporhic flag because you can always quickly turn it on for your track in DVD Studio Pro.
So basically, I don't even have to think about it when exporting my timeline via compressor. It exports at 23.98 thus compressor creates an Mpeg-2 file at 23.98, the DVD player will apply pulldown during playback to get it back to 29.97 then it converts it again to NTSC 59.97 for playback on a standard TV.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
So basically, I don't even have to think about it when exporting my timeline via compressor. It exports at 23.98 thus compressor creates an Mpeg-2 file at 23.98, the DVD player will apply pulldown during playback to get it back to 29.97 then it converts it again to NTSC 59.97 for playback on a standard TV.
Basically, yes. However, it isn't the DVD player that downconverts to NTSC frame size, it is compressor.

The DVD player will also handle 16x9 properly, depending on what type of display it is connected to, and how the user set the player's P&S/letterbox settings.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring