DVD Labeling Systems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old November 27th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Labeling Systems

What is the best labeling system for a MAC? I do not want to spend a chunk load of money to buy a printer that prints directly onto the DVDs, although that would be nice. I've used some in the past that have caused the DVDs to be unbalanced, therefore causing the playback to be jittery or not function at all. I quit for awhile, but I want to try again. Can anyone recommend a product? I just looked into this Neo labeling system and the review was terrible. Thanks a bunch.

Josh
Josh Woll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'print to DVD becoming unbalanced' unless you are referring to the stick on labels. If so, yeah stick on labels are not the way to go. IMO, it more economical to print to DVD than to spend the money for labels, then ink on top of that.

The Epson 220 is a decent solution for printing to disk. It's less than 100 bucks now a days. The Epson comes with your basic disk layout software.

There are lightscribe solutions, just google lightscribe and you'll see a bunch. (clarified, this is a way to label a disk, but you have to have a lightscribe drive)

Last edited by Steven Davis; November 27th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.
Steven Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'print to DVD becoming unbalanced' unless you are referring to the stick on labels. If so, yeah stick on labels are not the way to go. IMO, it more economical to print to DVD than to spend the money for labels, then ink on top of that.

The Epson 220 is a decent solution for printing to disk. It's less than 100 bucks now a days. The Epson comes with your basic disk layout software.

There are lightscribe solutions, just google lightscribe and you'll see a bunch.
Ditto on the Epson 220. I ve used it for about 6 months, and have done runs of up to 125 units on the printer. Its not automatic so you have to reload each disk, but it still produces a nice finished product.
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yep, the (now) 220 works great. I run 2 of the 200 units and have run about 2000 thru them and they still work just fine. If 1 breaks so what, for about $100 I can get another and as was mentioned they print out quite well.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

For those of you who have used the Epson 200 series extensively -- what is your ink cost / DVD to print edge-to-edge photo labels? And are you using generic ink (if so, what source) or genuine Epson?

I recall Consumer Reports saying that the generic inks tended not to save any money in the end (I guess the cartridges didn't last as long in their tests). I've also had problems with off-brand inks in the past in my Canon printer (bad color, clogged heads), but if you've got a source of good, cheap ink, I'd love to hear it.

-Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You know, I've never really counted how many I get with the carts but its quite a few even with a full face print. As for ink, i used to buy the genuine epson thru 1 of the office suppl places but now I get it at a place called Cartridge World and it's about 60% of what the office supply places charge so I know my cost per unit is down but honestly I've never taken the time to actually figure it out. I know I should and I promise that next year i will (maybe ;-O)
Don
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

This Epson printer, do you design the labels within photoshop and then print directly to DVD? Therefore, buying DVD-R's with print directly to DVD capability?
Josh Woll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 07:18 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Epson has a basic printing program with design elements that you can bring BMPs or JPEGS into as backgrounds, photos, text-it's actually not a bad little program. I have also done some stuff in photoshop and then imported into the Epson program. Yes buy printable DVDs, use the supplied tray from Epson and fire away.

Don
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Major Player

I use my Epson 220 to print to both CDs and DVDs (make sure to buy the printable ones!). However, there is one serious "gotcha". I use a Photoshop template customized for both, and it has clipping masks perfectly matched to the printable surfaces of both CDs and DVDs. This is important because you don't want the print heads to "overspray" the areas of the media. It makes a real mess and wastes ink, too.

The quality is quite good (nowhere near "photo" quality, though) and my clients are always surprised and delighted to see their discs.
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #10
Major Player

Do you use a clear coat on printed media?

I've talked with a couple of folks who print their (white-faced) DVDs/CDs, then spray them with a clear coat after the ink dries. I've been told it preserves the printed labels. I've tried it a couple of times using Rustoleum Crystal Clear spray paint, but after drying, the spray seems to leave tiny little "bumps" in the clear coat, kinda like polyurethane applied to wood but before it's been sanded between coats.

Does anyone else have experience and/or recommendations with this?

The benefit of your experience and wisdom would be appreciated.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Krylon has a clear glossy or satin finish spray that works very well on the faces of DVDs. Thats the stuff art and graphics houses use. Also shake the can every couple of minutes to make sure there is no air in the nozzel.

Don
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
There are lightscribe solutions, just google lightscribe and you'll see a bunch. (clarified, this is a way to label a disk, but you have to have a lightscribe drive)
LightScribe sounds great on paper. Have you actually tried it ?

I fell for the LightScribe promise. First of all, the contrast is so bad that it's hard to read text. There are some contrast tweaks, but they really don't improve the situation that much. Burning a LightScribe disc takes over a half an hour. According to one fellow that uses a lot of DVD burners and prints on Epson printers, your DVD burner has a life span of about 300 disc burns. LightScribe reduces the lifespan of your burner. Text is ok, but pictures are just horrible.

I wouldn't recommend LightScribe to anyone.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Maller
I use my Epson 220 to print to both CDs and DVDs (make sure to buy the printable ones!). However, there is one serious "gotcha". I use a Photoshop template customized for both, and it has clipping masks perfectly matched to the printable surfaces of both CDs and DVDs. This is important because you don't want the print heads to "overspray" the areas of the media. It makes a real mess and wastes ink, too.

The quality is quite good (nowhere near "photo" quality, though) and my clients are always surprised and delighted to see their discs.
This might be a boneheaded question but here goes.
I am planning on getting the 220 also. Do you print the DVD before you burn it, or after, or does it not matter?

I'd be tempted to print first so that I know the DVD works after burning, but does the ink mess up the burning process?
Nick Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Josh: Yes, you have to buy printable CD or DVDs. I have seen them in Silver and White so far.

Nick: I print after burning, with no effect to the burns. I would not print before.
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #15
Wrangler

The original poster asked about labeling systems for the MAC. The software that came with my R200 is Windows only and I used it once or twice.

I've been using a demo of a MAC application called Disc Label. It seems to be a nice application. The demo is fully functional but watermarks the printouts until you buy a registration key.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring