DVD Case Insert Paper at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 14th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Case Insert Paper

I am looking for the best quality paper stock to use for DVD Case Inserts.
Does anyone know what "weight" paper the industry standard is? 24 pound isn't "heavy" enough, I've found. Nothing drives me crazy like a poor-fitting dvd insert---one that doesn't lay perfectly flat. People speak highly of items at Meritline. You don't use photo paper, correct? Please direct me to the top-notch paper you use. Thanks-

Dale
Dale Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I wouldn't call it top-notch, but I've had decent results with Neato high-gloss inserts: http://www.neato.com/dynamic/CD-DVD-...s/default.aspx

The problem I've found with all the inserts like this is they have to be punched out from a regular-size sheet of paper... which means you end up with two jagged edges from the perforations that you might want to trim.
Justin DeAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Microcenter has some high quality Memorex DVD case insert blanks - I just bought a couple of packs. See http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0206847 and http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0206835
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I make my own using Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper.
I just cut the paper to 10 3/4" X 7 1/4".
I made up my own templates based on this size paper and just fill in the templates for each job. Glossy paper can be used also but I find the matte finish to be cost effective for large orders.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I guess i can experiment myself, but which type more closely resembles the type of paper the industry uses: glossy or matte finish? I would think, matte.
Dale Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #6
New Boot

I use HP InkJet Brochure Paper, which comes glossy or matte. I buy it at OfficeMax, and have them cut the whole package on their cutter. A package has 150 sheets, and costs about $30. I've got a Photoshop template for the graphic elements, and then I drop that into a Word document for the text elements.

Edit: I forgot to add that this paper is 98 pound paper, which is a little heavier than a commerical DVD insert. Once you put it in the DVD case, it lies(lays?) perfectly flat.
Scott R. Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #7
Major Player

I find that matte doesn't stick to the clear cover of the case so I like it a little better for that reason.

when I've used glossy, it give a weird pattern based on where it sticks vs. doesn't stick, and it's hard to get it to stick all over.

the 'sure thing' inserts have worked well for me and are pre-scored to make them easy to deal with.
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #8
New Boot

The HP brochure paper that I mentioned in my previous post is actually 48 pound paper, and I haven't had a problem with the glossy version sticking to the plastic of the DVD case. I only use the slim DVD cases, and have OfficeMax cut the paper to 10.5 X 7.25, and it fits very nicely in the case.
Scott R. Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I take mine to staples.

I have a staples pretty close by. I create my DVD cover in photoshop, save it to a CD, and have them make me a color copy on their semi-gloss? 8.5x11 brochure paper, I think. I always have to see a couple of samples of the paper they've got and then I pick the one I need.

I take them home and crop them down to fit the case. The software they use at staples doesn't allow bleeding, so the case image is slightly smaller, but not noticeable.

What format do yall save your DVD case insert as before you print it? .bmp, .jpg, .psd?
Jacob Burson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I use these http://www.polylinecorp.com/productl...11000210000120

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring