DVD Bit-Rate Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old April 17th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #1
Major Player

DVD Bit-Rate Question

I've never been happy with the DVD output from Premiere Pro's timelines.

I'm wondering what the highest Bit-Rate is that I can encode to when creating a DVD is in PPro straight from the Timeline.

When I aim the bit-rate too high, it transcodes the project just fine but when it gets to burning it fails and says that the bit-rate is too high.

And is it better to go with CBR, VBR 1 Pass or VBR 2 Pass?

Thanks for your help,

-- John.
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Major Player

John,

The highest bit rate possible for DVD is 10.08 mbs with audio and video combined. For practical uses, however, most people recommend that your bit rate not exceed about 8. Especially older laptops used to choke on anything higher than 7 mbs, and in my experience, if you are using a decent encoder, you should get very good quality at anything above 6 mbs. Like I say, the total is also based on your audio, so if you want to keep your audio as PCM, that will eat up more of the total than if you convert it to ac3. Normal setting for ac3 (dolby digital) STEREO audio is 192 kbs, SURROUND at 384.

As for Constant vs. Variable bit rate -

If you have shorter segments and can keep your bit rarte above 6 mbs, then using CBR should be fine. If the encoder is having trouble with certain segments, then using VBR can allow the encoder to allocate more bits where it needs it, and fewer where there is something easy to encode like a talking head. Definitely if you are encoding down in the 3 - 5 mbs range, you will want to use VBR, as it allows the encoder to be more effecient and should result in a better looking final product. 1 pass and 2 pass just allow the encoder to do more calculating. If you have the time, 2 pass SHOULD result in a better encode.

Also, since you are not happy with the encodes from Premiere (which I wasn't either), you might consider getting the Cinemacraft encoder. There is a basic edition that I believe only costs about $50 (US) and works as a plug -in for Premiere. I find it to produce much better encodes

By the way, I just got back a couple of weeks ago from Melbourne. We were at the FINA World Championships (our son is on the USA National Water Polo Team). We saw both swimming and water polo and were very impressed with Melbourne and its people. The trams in the city were great, people were always friendly and helpful, and the surrounding areas we visited (Philip Island, Great Ocean Rd., Yarra Valley) were beautiful. We had a great time and would recommend Melbourne to anyone.

Have fun!

Rob

Last edited by Rob Neidig; April 18th, 2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: forgot to add some info
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Rob, that's a brilliant answer!

I live right near Philip Island - it is a very happy part of the world!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring