Unable to rip authored DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 7th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Unable to rip authored DVD

Hey, guys. A guy I know just recently tossed me an authored dvd and wants me to rip it, and re-edit. I used the program Handbrake... I turned it into an avi. omg. and an mepg-4... I was able to play back the mpeg-4 version. However, I can't important any of these file types into my timeline in final cut pro. Are there any other programs which can turn the file type into an mov. file, or convert the mpeg-4 to mov.?
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Major Player

You will have better result with MPEG Streamclip ... which is free. You need the MPEG Playback Component but you should have that, if you have Pro. Streamclip will allow you to rip the DVD to a DV format that FC likes better

You could also check out dvxdvd, a commercail product that works pretty well, but go for the free option first
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Major Player

I just did that very thing for an artist I worked with last week on a movie trailer. Don't you hate it. This was my workflow:

1. Rip as an .mp4 using Handbrake with the H.264 format.
2. Open with Quicktime Pro and just save it. This will result in a .mov file.
3. iMovie will open a .mov when you import it and edit.

If you really want to use FCP then try exporting as a "self-contained movie" out of iMovie and import that into your FCP project.
Jonathan Bufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Major Player

If you want to use FCP for editing, it really would be better to rip to a DV format rather than H.264 or MPEG4. Streamclip will allow you to do that
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring