Paper Cutters for DVD Case Inserts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old July 20th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Paper Cutters for DVD Case Inserts

Hey everybody,

I'm almost done with a wildlife documentary I've been working on for long time. I have almost all the packaging materials I need but I still don't have a good way to cut out the DVD case inserts I've designed. Using scissors takes too darn long. For inserts, I've been printing out a graphic I designed with photoshop, on 8.5"x11" epson matte presentation paper, so I have some pretty narrow regions that need to be sliced off. Anyway, the two paper cutters I have are too imprecise without a good way to secure the paper. I'm basically looking for a relatively small, precise, and inexpensive paper cutter that I can use exclusively for cutting out DVD case inserts. I don't know much about paper cutters and live about 80 miles from any significant stores, so I can't just go out and see what's available and I'd prefer to buy online. If anybody knows of a particular model or brand or has something that works well for them, feel free to let me know. I'd really appreciate any info.

Regards,
Tristan
Tristan Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Tristan - I use the sure thing A4 matte inserts, which are pre-perforated and are bigger than 8.5x11 which isn't quite large enough to get the right size for a DVD case. They work great - no hassle cutting .. You can buy them online. But, if you don't want to do that, you can use an x-acto or fiskars cutter .. should be online at staples, etc. I like my x-acto brand one better .. a little more durable / exacting due to the design. Maybe $30 or so. good luck...
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Major Player

old school

I use a piece of 1/4" glass, and xacto knife and a steel ruler for all my covers and such. I do runs of 20 so it doesn't take too long. Also I bought a corner cutter that puts a nice 1/4 radius on the corners. You can pick up everything but the glass at a crafts store. Just make sure it's tempered glass, you don't want it to shatter into shards if you drop it etc.
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dave and Jon,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll order a 12" x-acto cutter from staples. Hopefull that will cut it for my tasks and give me the cutting edge I need.

Regards,
Tristan
Tristan Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Tristan,

I have that the 12" X-acto from staples and it does a good job. I use it to make DVD covers for short run projects like 100 or so. I find that it cuts best through 5 or 6 sheets at a time. I put register marks on mine with scotch tape and a sharpie to speed cutting. Works nice.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson View Post
Hi Tristan,

I have that the 12" X-acto from staples and it does a good job. I use it to make DVD covers for short run projects like 100 or so. I find that it cuts best through 5 or 6 sheets at a time. I put register marks on mine with scotch tape and a sharpie to speed cutting. Works nice.
yes, although I'd tweek that a bit, in that UP TO 5-6 sheets at a time. I've found my best results 1 page at a time but agree that up to that # of pages can work fine.
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If you ever use slim DVD cases (9mm) I have found that heavy glossy Letter sized paper from Staples produces really nice results, especially with a good color laser printer-- like the HP CLJ 3600N.

I have a CARL Bidex precision cutting 15" Professional Rotary Trimmer from Staples, and it works great. Just remember to flip the cutting mat so the edges don't get frayed, and change the blade when necessary.
Jerry Wiese is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring