Rolling Shutter Comparison (7D & 5D mkII) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Rolling Shutter Comparison (7D & 5D mkII)
Jon Carr Jon Carr is offline October 2nd, 2009, 11:20 AM

I was able to do one more test last night with the help of my friend Michael from Santiago Filmworks. We tried to keep things a little more consistent. The first shot is mislabeled. The f-stop of the 5D mkII is 6.3, not 8.

I have posted links to 1080p footage here:
Jon Carr - Blog - Rolling Shutter Comparison (7D & 5DmkII)

Jon Carr
Regular Crew
Views: 1478
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Major Player

I posted this as a comment vimeo but it might be more useful to post here, so here it is again:

I did a very brief test on a preproduction 7d a few weeks ago and unfortunately it seemed like the rolling shutter skew at 24p was worse than at 30p, so i guess the framerate may be achieved by lower clock rate rather than extra vertical blanking. Of course this was just what it seemed to me waving around the camera at approximately the same speed across a scene with some vertical lines. I could be wrong though, id love to see a test like this with two 7d's side by side in 24p and 30p. Of all the shots, I dont think you really need anything besides a closeup shooting as straight on to the side of the train as possible, so the skew is maximized and can be measured/compared more easily, like the shot at 0:25 but make sure both cameras have the same field of view.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery