Canon 7D wildlife clip in low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old October 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Canon 7D wildlife clip in low light
Ofer Levy Ofer Levy is offline October 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Hi all,
My EX3 is still being repaired after having major problems with it.
Not having the camera for 3 weeks was too depressing for me so I bought the new SLR Canon 7D. I heard it should work much better than the EX3 in low light due to the bigger sensor. Gave it a go in the last few nights filming the Grey-headed Flying Foxes feeding on a fig tree not far from my place in Sydney.
I am quite impressed with this camera. Very easy to operate, focusing in total darkness made very easy by the x10 magnification of the LCD which is awesome. Noise in 1250 ISO is acceptable to my eyes.
I am not sure I could do any filming with the EX3 in such conditions but will try it as soon as I get it back.
Please check out this clip - shot with the Canon 7D, 1920x1080, 25p, iso 1250, f4, 1/50, WB - 6000K, Canon EF 300 f2.8 IS with x1.4 teleconverter.
The only light source is one powerful HID torch which looks like a great device so far.
I have ordered another one as I feel working with two torches will eliminate more of the shadows and improve the overall image.

Your comments and suggestions are very welcomed and appreciated.

Video Gallery

Cheers,
Ofer
Ofer Levy Photography

Last edited by Ofer Levy; October 10th, 2009 at 06:39 PM..

Ofer Levy
Major Player
Views: 2764
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dude, I couldn't watch your video, those flying dingos were freaking me out! Too close to Halloween!
Footie looks great.
What are those 'torches' you used?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Brian! I have been filming these bats for nearly two years now and I am totally in love with these harmless, intelligent and fascinating creatures!
Will let you know exactly what torch it is once I get the second one I have ordered in a few days. The reason for not telling you now is that I paid 400$ to an online store in the UK for this torch only to discover that what looks like an identical torch costs nearly half when ordered from the factory in China. I will let you know as soon as I get the one I ordered from China - it might save you nearly 200$...(-:

Cheers mate,
Ofer
Ofer Levy Photography
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Nice gesture from the bat to end the video :)

They look like messy eaters.

Have you done any photography with that combo yet?
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Kin, thanks for your comment.
This clip was shot with the 7D+Canon 300 EF f2.8x1.4 combo.
Cheers,
Ofer
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Does the 1.6x converter degrade the IQ at all?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Brian,
I have a lot of experience with the Canon EF 300 f2.8 IS from my bird photography era. It is such a phenomenal lens that even when coupled with the x1.4 converter (type II) the image quality is superb in all aspects.
Cheers,
Ofer
Ofer Levy Photography
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ofer,

I am impressed, makes me want to shoot & edit some wildlife video.
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery