7D political spot - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old March 5th, 2010, 04:04 AM  
7D political spot
Burk Webb Burk Webb is offline March 5th, 2010, 04:04 AM

Hey folks, did a couple of political spots with my 7D recently. Figured I would see what people thought. Here is one of em'.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Burk Webb
Major Player
Views: 3288
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:42 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Overall they both look very clean. If there's one thing I would be critical of, it's the direction. In the first video, the guy definitely seems like he's speaking at one of those weekend sales retreats in the Bahamas with the same drive and focus a salesman would have. The second video corrects his addressing a large audience roaming sight lines, but doesn't address his tendency to bark his claims at the audience like they're standing 20 yards away from him. Your choice of shots and dolly work seems to reflect that you wanted to portray him in a more intimate setting, but when his voice is raised to that degree and his body movement is so erratic, it pretty much kills the intimacy aspect you were going for.

I know what you're up against. I've shot television commercials for many a public figure and it's hard finding one that will take direction well. Without knowing the details of the behind-the-scenes stuff with this guy, there's no way anyone could tell you how to direct him any better. I'd say that if you get another crack at doing a spot for him, try to get him to calm down a bit. Perhaps he thinks that if he's not giving a high-energy delivery that he'll seem too buttoned down or boring, but that's when it's up to you as a director to make him understand the many degrees of engagement one can have with the camera as opposed to simply on and off. If he insists on staying with his delivery style, then definitely stage a public address like the first one seems to be, but like Christopher says, cut in shots establishing that he is indeed speaking to an audience.

Hope that helped.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery