5D Vs 7D Can you spot the difference? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old September 4th, 2010, 05:30 AM  
5D Vs 7D Can you spot the difference?
Liam Hall Liam Hall is offline September 4th, 2010, 05:30 AM

I regularly shoot with both the 5D and the 7D. Here's a video made entirely with out-takes and b-roll using both cameras - can you tell which is which?

Liam Hall
Major Player
Views: 6841
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sanford View Post
I am by trade a still photographer who shoots with a canon 40d. I am looking to upgrade and looking to pull the trigger on a new 5d or 7d. The video functions really attract me to the newer DSLRs and am curious as to what you all think about which is best for video, as this is a media I would like to become more involved with.

Although I really want to go full frame, I have been functioning with a cropped sensor for years and have had great results and the 7d seems a little more feature rich. I am curious as to your input on the video side.

Many thanks.
It depends what you shoot. If it's portraits/fashion or similar I'd want the full frame. For sports/wildlife the 7D wins for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
Very Nice Liam! As a user of both 7D and 5D would YOU recommend a 5D to me if I'm looking for a 2nd DSLR to compliment my 7D?
Yes, Ted, the 5D is the best compliment to the 7D. I shoot about 50/50 on the two cams, though outside I find myself reaching for the 7D, inside the 5D.

The good thing is you get different FOVs with the same lens - so it makes financial sense too (at least that's what I told my wife!).
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I don't think Vimeo is really the forum to debate quality differences and being able to notice a difference. The real test is on a broadcast monitor, with an uncompressed codec.
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #18
Trustee

Editing today's shoot from a 5d &7d uncompressed to pro res in FCP and though it's not a true broadcast monitor, viewing through a 32" Sony 1080p LED. The third camera is an XF300 and they are matching very well. The XF is the most natural looking so I ended up splitting the difference saturation-wise. We didn't spend the time setting custom profiles which would help for future shoots but the post processing is just a few clicks. Much less than previous shoots with other cameras.
Some of today's shoot may air regionally so I'll be sure to let people know as it will be an HD broadcast.
Lovin Canon's tools!
Old October 27th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #19
Trustee

Thanks for the confirmation Liam, actually I'm still crossing my fingers canon comes with a 5D upgrade soon. -if theres non then its 5D2 it is.

I've already seen samples from the new panny af100, and, well, at least I speak for myself only, I'm sticking with canon DSLRs for the moment.
I won't argue with anybody here, but from the images "I can get" from the canon dslrs, it outweighs the codec and cost of the af100.

I know a lot are happy with the new panny but, maybe I just saw the emperor has no clothes.
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yager View Post
I don't think Vimeo is really the forum to debate quality differences and being able to notice a difference. The real test is on a broadcast monitor, with an uncompressed codec.
Don't worry Steve, I look at this stuff on grade 1 monitors all the time. Also, I contributed a lot of DSLR footage to a prime time documentary broadcast here in the UK on SKY1 and Sky HD last week. The shots from both the 7D and 5D held up remarkably well:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery