Martial Arts video shot on the 7D - my first time playing with 60p on a DSLR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:17 PM  
Martial Arts video shot on the 7D - my first time playing with 60p on a DSLR
Graham King Graham King is offline May 18th, 2011, 03:17 PM

I got a minuscule amount of money to shoot a video of a sparring session at a local dojo. Figured it was a perfect time to bust out with some 60p and the glidecam. I poured my heart into the edit hoping to end up with a nice portfolio piece. Let me know what you think!

Graham King
Regular Crew
Views: 7657
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: Martial Arts video shot on the 7D - my first time playing with 60p on a DSLR

Nice stuff! I love Martial Arts stuff and you do an awesome job of moving around and hitting the great moments. My only critique is the length. Too many of the same type of shots I think.

I tried a few things with some 60p martial arts footage and added in some motion blur back in to the normal speed stuff (60p frame dropped to 24p) mixed in with 60p slo-mo adn some time-remapping. It did soften it a little but the fast action made up for it.

well done.
Ryan Hargrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Re: Martial Arts video shot on the 7D - my first time playing with 60p on a DSLR

Ryan, thanks for your feedback. It did get really long. I was originally aiming for 60 seconds but I really wanted to get the slow vs fast thing in there a few times. I wonder how I could have done that with a shorter video. Maybe chop the song up.

What did you use to add motion blur? Could you add sharpening to fix it or would that just cancel out a lot of the blur?
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
DSLR zooms like Canon, Nikon, throw out the focus if you zoom. The lens are parfocal, meaning when you adjust the focal length on a zoom, you need to refocus. The difference is hard to see but when you look on a large monitor is becomes apparent - slightly out of focus.
No. If a lens is parfocal, it maintains focus throughout the zoom. You are talking about non-parfocal lenses. And contrary to your assertion, there are a number of parfocal zoom lenses for Canon. The Tokina 11-16 is one, and it works wonderfully on a 7D + Glidecam. Other parfocal zooms include Canon 16-35 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, and Tamron 17-50 f2.8.
Lance Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Really liked it, and this was with the sound down (Im at work and sneakily reading the forum). Just out of interest, was the speed ramp into the realtime shot at 60p, slowed to 24p for the slow-mo, then sped back up to 60p to go back into realtime speed ? Hope that makes sense.
Stephen Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #20
Slash Rules!

Holy crap! I did NOT know this about Parfocal/still lenses. What about the Canon L series 24-105? Maintains focus throughout zoom or no?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I don't have any experience with the Canon L-Series 24-105 f/4 but I would presume that it is parfocal for two reasons:

1. It's L Series lens
2. Assuming you have shot with the lens wide open, it would be surprising if you haven't noticed that it's NOT parfocal.
Lance Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hill View Post
Really liked it, and this was with the sound down (Im at work and sneakily reading the forum). Just out of interest, was the speed ramp into the realtime shot at 60p, slowed to 24p for the slow-mo, then sped back up to 60p to go back into realtime speed ? Hope that makes sense.
The slow mo stuff was shot at 60p and conformed to 24p for true 40% slow motion. For the fast stuff, I sped the slow mo footage to 288% giving me 115% of realtime.

Up until now I've been telling everyone I sped it up to 120% but I think I was so sleepy and delusional the night I was editing that I forgot that I actually used 115%!
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks Graham. The technique has been used really well. The faster shutter gave the sparring real energy.
Stephen Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #24
Slash Rules!

"wide open" on that lens is f4!
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery