Real world examples: moire and rolling shutter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old January 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM  
Real world examples: moire and rolling shutter
Josh Dahlberg Josh Dahlberg is offline January 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM

I shot my first paying job yesterday on the 5D mkII, with mixed results. Overall I am pleased with the footage, but I thought I'd share with you two examples of where the 5D mkII can go horribly wrong.

We shot a ten minute interview with a park ranger. He was wearing a simple cotton shirt, which led to moire throughout the footage.

Worse is the pronounced rolling shutter on footage shot from hilltop vantage points. Why? It was a windy day. Even on a fairly robust manfrotto tripod, vibrations caused by the winds buffeting the camera led to.... well, see for yourself :-(

So, the moral of the story is, be wary of men in uniform, and stay inside on windy days.

Canon 5d mkII Moire & rolling shutter on Vimeo

Josh Dahlberg
Major Player
Views: 3746
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #16
New Boot

Thanks for the clarifications, all! I stand corrected, where necessary.
Mark Palmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery