Chinese New Year fireworks in Beijing last night 5DmkII and EX-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old January 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Chinese New Year fireworks in Beijing last night 5DmkII and EX-1
Dan Chung Dan Chung is offline January 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM

I've just posted another short I did last night in a few hours at the Chinese new year celebrations in Beiijing. It's the world's biggest unorganised fireworks display! It was a rush job in conditions well below freezing so apologies if some of the camera work is a little rough.

YouTube - Beijing fireworks mark Chinese new year to watch in HD.

It's the first time I've cut Sony EX-1 and Eos5DmkII footage together in the same piece. I'd be interested if anyone can tell which is which in 720p web format.

Dan

Dan Chung
Major Player
Views: 2123
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If I had to guess... The giant bell was the EX1, as were the distant fireworks shots. (BTW, the blacks seemed to be lifted on the distant shots.) The scenes among the people were the 5D MkII, as were the final out-of-focus shots.

How'd I do?
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Youtube is so crappy, it's almost impossible to distinguish good source footage from less good.

I've seen your vimeo pieces shot with the 5D, and they look great. If you could repost this there, I might have a good shot at telling the sources apart.
Elizabeth Lowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Hmm I'm pretty sure the stationary shots showing the fireworks and the skyline were all EX1.. as well some shots before that were we can see the roofs of the old styled buildings. Those shots just looked crisper and more "HD" to me.. The 5D2 clips on the other hand looked muddier by comparison. In fact, I'm willing to say that all shots where the sparks were rendered more crisp were from the EX1.. Why is that?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Lowrey View Post
Youtube is so crappy, it's almost impossible to distinguish good source footage from less good.
Click on the "Watch in HD" link at the bottom right of the video. (If you haven't already.)
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Click on the "Watch in HD" link at the bottom right of the video. (If you haven't already.)
Well, that certainly helped, LOL. Didn't even see that until you pointed it out.

Still doesn't look nearly as good as most stuff I see posted on vimeo. The compression artifacts are much more noticeable to me on Youtube.
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

A couple of specific shots I'm willing to go out on a limb for:

@ 1:53 - The young girl twirling the tubular firework that gives off a trail of sparks looks to be Canon. The depth of field seems very shallow, and the bokeh looks very high quality.

@ 1:57 and 2:02 - Guy setting a bundle of fireworks down and walking away. Definitely looks like 5D because of the "jelly" effect in the motion.

I also notice that a lot of shots have milkier blacks with more noise (e.g., 0:35) and some have cleaner blacks (e.g., 2:13). I'm guessing the former are EX-1 and the latter are 5D.
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Major Player

As also posted over on the EX forum, the entire opening up to the bell is shot on the 5dmkII , the fireworks after that are on the EX-1 apart from one shot at 00.48 which is 5dmkII. The people on the street are all 5dmkII and the defocussed fireworks at the end are a combination of EX-1 and 5dmkII shots.

Elizabeth, Ive put a 720p version on Vimeo here http://vimeo.com/2982037 if anyone wants to download or compare quality.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Lowrey View Post
A couple of specific shots I'm willing to go out on a limb for:

@ 1:53 - The young girl twirling the tubular firework that gives off a trail of sparks looks to be Canon. The depth of field seems very shallow, and the bokeh looks very high quality.

@ 1:57 and 2:02 - Guy setting a bundle of fireworks down and walking away. Definitely looks like 5D because of the "jelly" effect in the motion.

I also notice that a lot of shots have milkier blacks with more noise (e.g., 0:35) and some have cleaner blacks (e.g., 2:13). I'm guessing the former are EX-1 and the latter are 5D.
Elizabeth, you were right in all counts! top marks
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Dan...

... can you tell which software you edited this piece on? Thanks.
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #11
Major Player

Final Cut Pro

Dan
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Elizabeth, Ive put a 720p version on Vimeo here Chinese new year fireworks in Beijing - 5DmkII on Vimeo if anyone wants to download or compare quality.

Dan
Thanks, Dan. Watched it again and thought it looked better than on Youtube HD, even though it was smaller. Great piece, as usual.
Elizabeth Lowrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery