5DmkII and EX3 footage mixed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old March 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #1
5DmkII and EX3 footage mixed
Olof Ekbergh Olof Ekbergh is offline March 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM

These are excerpts from a film that will be out this summer, about steam trains in the winter.

They were shot here in the Mount Washington Valley this winter using an EX3 and a 5DmkII. I used a 17-40 L f4 for the interior shots in the roundhouse, and a 24-105 L f4 and a 100-400 L f4:5.6 for some of the outdoor shots.

About 80% of the shots are done with the EX3.

I used a 'Fig-rig" onboard the locomotive and in the observation car.

CSRR 5 minutes of Winter Steam

Olof Ekbergh
Sponsor: Westside AV
Views: 2338
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Great job!

Very nice in deed. Could you please elaborate which editing software you used (Final Cut?) and how did you mix two codecs (ProRes?). Thanks.
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

The EX3 footage is all 29.97i. 5D 30p of course.
This is only a quick comp in FCP, some grading in Color. Just to legalize levels.
I find that 5D footage is way to sharp even playing with profiles in cam menus. So I use a very slight blur in Color about 0.0001450. This also gets rid of some compression artifacts.

I work in a ProResHQ timeline. If the footage is on my fast raid (12 SAS drive RAID5 Promise 600MB/sec, 4800 mb/sec) both XDcam and 5D footage plays real time full HD resolution, from FW800 drives it does not.

Color is rendered to 29.97 ProresHQ.

The final edits will all be done in Media100 in ProResHQ 29.97 1080i , I find it a much better and stable editor than FCP.

I like FCP because I can play footage w/o transcoding, so I use it to pick my shots and then send the shots to M100 for final edit, this is when I transcode to ProResHQ.

M100 does realtime Color grading, I use external scopes (old analog Tektronixs and a MBP running ScopeBox) for most grading. And any shots that need more work go into Color using XML roundtrip from M100. AE will also be used for some special FX.

These clips are only for preview for the client and we also made a HD-DVD kiosk to help pre-sell the film, that has been set up in different rail-fans location. People are pre-ordering already.

The web version was compressed in Squeeze as flash 1mb/sec Flash7 flv.

The final release will initially be NTSC 29.97 1080i and 525i standard here in the US. There may be a Pal version as well later on.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery