Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM  
Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)
Jon Fairhurst Jon Fairhurst is offline April 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM

Here we own one of the best still cameras in the world, yet we don't tend to post stills or talk about them. I'm starting this thread for this purpose.

Keep in mind that this is not PhotoBucket. The idea is that we should only post photos that give insight into camera operation, lenses, and processing. We don't need full size, full res photos for that, scaled or cropped images will do.

Here's my contribution... Last night I shot a photo of our cat, Figaro. His black fur makes him nearly impossible to shoot well with cheapo cameras.

Lighting: Four ceiling-mounted lights were on, surrounding the subject. The ceiling is two stories above the floor.
Lens: Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF on Photodiox Pro adapter.
Operation: Full manual, using Live View Exposure Simulation. Handheld.
Focus: Manual, using 10x magnification
Settings: f/1.8, 1/30, 6400 ISO, custom WB.
Processing from RAW: Dropped the contrast slightly. Boosted the saturation. Cranked sharpness all the way to make up for slight focus/motion blur. The image is scaled, not cropped.

Using a Nikon lens this way for a photo was REALLY slow. Auto-focus, shutter priority, and IS would have really helped. A tripod wasn't reasonable, as the cat was pretty feisty and rarely stayed in one place.

The bokeh of this lens is pretty poor on the details of the gold couch pillow. Aside from that I'm happy with the lens. If I could manually set the aperture of lenses in video mode, I would definitely choose Canon lenses.

Attached Thumbnails
Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-bigfig_960x640.jpg  

Jon Fairhurst
Inner Circle
Views: 38200
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
My wife shot this of me, just a few minutes ago at the dinner table. She is not really a shooter.

Available light 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM, handheld, candle light and some room incandescence lights. This is one of the best lenses and cameras ever produced for stills. Metadata included. Aperture priority set to 2.8, no adjustments. It is tack sharp even blown up almost no grain.
This Is A Stunning Result. Congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
Critter

Nikkor 50mm f1.8 wide open
ISO 640
Shutter 1/125

A little mucking around in aperture
5DMK2 & Aperture really worked. Good Going. Kiwi Ron.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Bringing this thread back on to the topic of cats here is a photo that my wife took the other day of The Boy. The lens is a Canon 24-105 F4L at 105mm 1/250 F4. It has not been tweaked, cropped or otherwise mucked about with. You can view the full sized 5616x3744 JPEG original here
Sample Still Photos- powered by SmugMug

Cheers

Nigel
Attached Thumbnails
Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-img_0932.jpg  
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #33
Wrangler

Long overdue, Chris told me when I got a 5DmII I had to contribute to this thread. Nothing spectacular; just a couple of "getting familiar with my new camera shots."
Both shot aperture priority, CR2 large and down-rezzed in CS4. "Standing guard" was the 24-105L lens at F4.0, 1/125th, 93mm focal length, ISO 400. The "Swimmer" was at 140mm on a 75-300 lens (not L glass) at F5.0, 1/1600, ISO 2000.
Attached Thumbnails
Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-standing-guard-img_0024.jpg   Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-swimmer_small_img_0028.jpg  

Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Here are three photos I took at the L.A. Arboretum last week. The first was set at ISO 200, F4.0, and 1/100. The second was taken using ISO 200, F4.0, and 1/250. And the last one which looks like a Van Gogh painting was taken using ISO 100, F4.0, and 1/250. Believe me I was impressed with these photos. This was my first real shooting for the 5D Mark II using the kit lense 24-105L f4 lense.
Attached Thumbnails
Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-img_6942_1.jpg   Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-img_6930_1.jpg  

Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-img_6915_1.jpg  
Rick Casillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Great picture of the swimmer, Pete!

I read recently that a great photo combines fact, light and moment. In this case, the fact is that the swimmer is fresh from the water, the light is quite good with the dark background making it interesting, and the moment is captured by the swimmer's expression and water droplets that haven't yet fallen and dried.

Bravo!
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #36
Obstreperous Rex

It's about time, Pete! Lookin' good!

I'm diggin' the crop-ability of a 21 meg image...

105mm, f/5.6, 1/1200, ISO 100.
Attached Thumbnails
Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-butterfly-orig.jpg   Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-butterfly-crop.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:29 AM   #37
Trustee

Stunning detail Chris! Gorgeous composition! The beauty and texture, the depth and aggressiveness to the tread cleats, the subtle range of grays and blacks, the 3 dimensional reality of the raised lettering. I can almost smell the burning rubber, but you should have swatted away that fly, just ruins it for me.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:20 PM   #38
Obstreperous Rex

More snapshots from a visit to a family friend's open house day at her farm...

Rooster: 100mm, f/4, 1/80, ISO 125, cropped.

Mustang: 105mm, f/4.5, 1/166, ISO 100, cropped.

1st Paint: 75mm, f/5.6, 1/125, IS) 100, full frame.

2nd Paint: 85mm, f/6.4, 1/200, ISO 100, full frame.

No animals were harmed in the process... that's just water color paint, washes right off with a hose, that particular horse is very much kid-friendly and no stranger to such activities. They were emulating a Native American practice common among the Cheyenne and other nations of coloring their horses with various medicine symbols prior to hunts, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-rooster-crop.jpg   Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-mustang-crop.jpg  

Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-warpaint2.jpg   Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-warpaint.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:14 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Here's a recent photo from Arlington, VA. Sometimes the government limits freedoms. Sometimes property owners do. But few express such a deep lack of irony. :)

BTW, this was shot with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4. I really should have corrected the pin cushioning for the best effect. Lack of aperture control aside, the spatial distortion makes this lens less than ideal for video. It's unattractive on people as well as straight lines. It's one thing to correct on a single, 21MP photo. It's another thing to have to apply correction to every frame of video.
Attached Thumbnails
Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-freedompark.jpg  
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:35 AM   #40
Major Player

25th April 2009

Sukau, a 2 hour drive from Sandakan, Sabah and then down stream in a motorised canoe.

Canon 5D Mark 2 (of course) and Canon 400mm f5.6 lens (the shot is full frame and shot in RAW)

On Black: Proboscis Monkey IMG_3365xw.jpg by jingbar
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Fantastic photo, Bob! I can't even imagine how it felt to come face to face with that guy. Few humans can convey that much attitude in a single expression.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Two Samples

The first is a shot of The Cure on stage at Coachella with my crappy kit lens that came with my 40D (it's the only zoom I had on me).

I second one is of my cat Neo. 50mm 1.4
Attached Thumbnails
Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-cor_0029.jpg   Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-img_8535.jpg  

Old May 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #43
Trustee

Sigma 50mm EX DG HSM 1.4 - (If you want a fast prime that is sharp wide open, this is it.)

F/2.2
1/640 sec
ISO - 100
AI Servo AF
AF point area expansion - Enabled
Center AF point
Fill-in flash - Canon Speedlight 430EX - high speed shutter enabled
Attached Thumbnails
Post Your Photos (and lens/processing info)-b2_mg_1458.jpg  
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #44
Trustee

I love my Buddy.

And he loves me. That's his name. Rescued last August 15th in Wyoming. He wore out my throwing arm retrieving. For Christmas, my wife bought me a "Chuck it." I can hurl the tennis ball a country mile with it, with a tail wind 80 yards in the air for sure.

Every day he runs 3-5 miles fetching that ball. He expects it. He's not going to let you forget it's time to play ball. He's gone after 80 passes at a time, but he won't quit. He runs right back with it and drops it at your feet. We average about 35-50 passes every day. I watch carefully when he shows signs of tiring. I don't want to wear him out. He couldn't be happier getting overworked, but it breaks our heart if he gets sore, so we try not to. He's about 4 years old.

He's very smart, and very affectionate, gets up in my lap still. You can nuzzle and kiss him because he's not a licker. Driving along, he puts his head on my shoulder. He's very expressive and communicative, very trustworthy, just simply a good boy.

He goes with me everywhere and I love having him. We were still heartbroken from the loss of our beloved Weimeraner the year before, weren't going to have another. And then Buddy just came to us, sent from Heaven.

He hates cats though. Hates them. And he has an unfortunate fearless demeanor, undeterred even after being covered head to tail with porcupine quills. He just can't let go. I may lose him if he persists on something that will hurt him, like a western diamondback. But Buddy has got to be Buddy.

The picture from today, Sigma 50mm F/1.4 prime, shot at ISO 100, F/2.2, 1/800th, flash fill.

Old May 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #45
Regular Crew

a little clueless

Sorry for my ignorance, but how are you all posting the pictures in your reply?
David A. Fisher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery