Rocket-Powered Lawnmower at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Rocket-Powered Lawnmower
Jon Fairhurst Jon Fairhurst is offline May 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM

I recently received my Aputure AP-TR3C timer and just had to test it out...

This is a timelapse lawnmowing video. I shot it with the Canon 5D MkII in Live Mode using fine-medium JPEGs. The lens is a Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AF set at f/22 and with a 0.9 ND filter attached. ISO was 100. I used a timer (Aputure AP-TR3C) with a 1 second shutter, followed by a 1 second delay.

Jon Fairhurst
Inner Circle
Views: 1656
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Fun!

I wish I could really mow that fast!

What did you use in post to put all those still together?

How do you like the Aputure timer? Looks like a real bargain compared to the genuine Canon timer...
David Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi David,

I used Vegas to put this together. Here are the details:

1) Move the photos for a given sequence into their own folder on your hard drive.
2) Select File | Import | Media.
3) Select the first file in the sequence, check "open still image sequence", and click "Open".
4) Set the parameters. (You can choose 24p, 25p, or whatever!)
5) In "Project Media" you will find your sequence. Drag it to the timeline and edit like any other video.

And, yes, the Aputure timer works great. It took about a week to ship from Hong Kong. I paid with Paypal, and everything went smoothly. I haven't tried the Canon, so I don't know if it's better. My one complaint is that the light is useless. It turns off so quickly that you can't review all the settings. Bring a flashlight for setting up night shots.

And no matter what, don't tell my wife I can mow the lawn that fast!
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Jon for the feedback and mini-review...

It may be time to buy another gadget!
David Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Timelapse is a fun gimmick. Aside from making YouTube-type videos, it's useful for establishing shots or for playing under the closing titles. I'm mostly looking forward to doing sun and moon rises and sets. By putting a city/mountain/trees/desert/ocean in the background, the setting is clear.
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I recently received my Aputure AP-TR3C timer and just had to test it out...
That video made my day -- brilliant!

The only thing I would do is to fix the color balance.

-- peer

Last edited by Peer Landa; May 18th, 2009 at 03:42 PM.
Peer Landa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
The only thing I would do is to fix the color balance.
Agreed! This is straight from the camera in Faithful mode with the standard sunlight color balance selected. No color correctors were harmed (or used) in the making of this silly video. :)
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Jeez...that's a lot of lawn to mow. Fun video, have you considered rigging the camera to the mower with the timelapse?
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
Jeez...that's a lot of lawn to mow. Fun video, have you considered rigging the camera to the mower with the timelapse?
It's not so much when you can do it this fast!

Truth be told, I skipped the footage from the largest area. Because of user error, I grossly overexposed the footage. I had been framing with the optical viewfinder, but then I decided to add the cover. When attempting to view the image in Live View, the image was too dark. So I opened the aperture and forgot to close it back down after framing.

An interesting thing happened though. Sure, most everything is blown out, but this made the camera sensitive to reflections from dust and moisture in the air. This enables you to see all the wind and vortexes swirling behind and around the lawnmower. The video looks terrible, but it's amazing to see how the air moves around. It's like converting your lawn into a windtunnel!

All told, the property is 1.5 acres with at least 1/3 of it covered by the house, barn and large gravel driveway. I used a push mower once - and calculated that I walked five miles pushing that thing!

If I rigged the camera to the mower at that rate, it would be a major barf fest! Maybe next weekend... ;)
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Nice video,

are there any advantages in using live mode for timelapse shooting?

(less flickering? , less stress for the shutter?)

Thanks

Holger
Holger Neuhaeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Neuhaeuser View Post
are there any advantages in using live mode for timelapse shooting?

(less flickering? , less stress for the shutter?)
That's a great question. I wonder that myself. When the camera shoots in Live Mode, I still hear a mechanism. I don't know if the mirror stays up during the whole cycle or not. And I don't know what is causing the noise.

Does anybody know? I'd like to do timelapse with as little stress on the camera as possible. Not moving the mirror would help with stability as well as longevity - in theory anyway.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I can see the wind!

Here's an outtake from the Lawnmower video. I accidentally left the shutter open on one of the takes and it ended up grossly overexposed. Amazingly, you can see moisture and dust in the air that is invisible to the naked eye.

It was a bust of a take, but an interesting result. (BTW, it looks best when small. It's in SD. Don't scale it up.)

I can see the wind! on Vimeo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery