DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Launch Vid for Canon Australia. The Trainer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/237489-launch-vid-canon-australia-trainer.html)

Sean Lander June 17th, 2009 06:38 AM

Launch Vid for Canon Australia. The Trainer

Hi all.

Here is a short film that I edited and also helped out with filming. It was used for the launch of the Canon 5D Mk II
here in Australia. We shot it over 3 days and cut it in 4.

The Trainer

Audio was recorded separately on a DV camera.
The footage apart from being trancoded into Apple ProRes422 is untreated.

The edit was done with Final Cut Studio 2.

On the launch night the footage was projected with a super high grade 12K projector.
I must admit that I was expecting to see quite a few issues with the film, but happily could see NOT ONE!
Both the director and I were totally blown away by the quality and it confirmed our belief that you could
easily shoot a feature film with this camera.

Glen Elliott June 17th, 2009 10:36 AM

Sean awesome job with that! Love it!

Couple of questions- when you say your captured the audio on another HDV camera. What cam did you use and what format did you shoot in with that cam? Did you find any sync issues with the sound?

I see it states: "The ambient audio was recorded straight from the CANON 5D. Location dialog was recorded with a LECTROSONICS radio mic into HD VIDEO CAMERA (Sony HVCAM) recorded wild and married to image in post. RODE NTG-2 shotgun mic for interviews."

So if I read this correct you used a "Lectrosonics radio mic" for the ambient and an off camera Rode NTG-2 for the interviews.

I'm assuming the NTG-2 was connected to the Sony cam via XLR but what about the Lectrosonics radio mic? Was that the mic on-camera of the 5D? If so what make & model was it- I dont even know what a "radio mic" is? Did you encounter hiss?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for sharing that.

PS How did Canon hear about the project and how did you go about having them post it on their website?!

Matthew Roddy June 17th, 2009 10:55 AM

That was gorgeous!
Nicely shot, edited and finished! Top notch story telling all the way.
And I liked that you did a "Making Of."

Good Show!

Tomaso Perrone June 17th, 2009 01:37 PM

Already gave it 2 thumbs up but wanted to add my positive feedback here and suggest that any would-be 5D2 story teller go have a look. It really is very good.

Sean Lander June 17th, 2009 04:37 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah we did use the audio from the 5Ds for ambient sounds. We also had the shotgun mic to record the more important sound fx like the Russian doing his exercise routine. The DV camera was actually a PD-170. Yes sync was an issue because we forgot to switch it to 30fps! Ooops. But it wasn't really a problem as the selected grabs were pretty short. With every answer we always got a CLAP. Probably only took an hour or two to sync all the rushes.

Ron Coker June 17th, 2009 07:34 PM

5DMK2 + Zoom H4n Portable Recorder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Lander (Post 1159890)
Thanks guys! Yeah we did use the audio from the 5Ds for ambient sounds. We also had the shotgun mic to record the more important sound fx like the Russian doing his exercise routine. The DV camera was actually a PD-170. Yes sync was an issue because we forgot to switch it to 30fps! Ooops. But it wasn't really a problem as the selected grabs were pretty short. With every answer we always got a CLAP. Probably only took an hour or two to sync all the rushes.

Sean,
For what it's worth, Capture 5DMK2 audio to the Zoom H4n Portable Recorder, or several if need be. In FCP apply the application Pluraleyse to sync all audio and video tracks. Takes about 30 sec, mate.

The link provides info on fine tuning audio. Apple J, Speed, 29.97 fps.

Gadgets for 5D Mark2 on Vimeo

Ron.

Evan Donn June 18th, 2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Lander (Post 1159890)
Probably only took an hour or two to sync all the rushes.

I'll second Ron's recommendation - Pluraleyes is a must have, not just for syncing dual system sound but also multiple cameras as well. No need to clap shots either, just let the audio recording run continuously, start and stop the camera(s) as desired, throw it all on a timeline and grab a beer (if it's early enough) or coffee (late night edit) while PluralEyes does all the work.

Sean Lander June 18th, 2009 08:56 PM

Thanks for all the useful info guys!