Launch Vid for Canon Australia. The Trainer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #1
Launch Vid for Canon Australia. The Trainer
Sean Lander Sean Lander is offline June 17th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Hi all.

Here is a short film that I edited and also helped out with filming. It was used for the launch of the Canon 5D Mk II
here in Australia. We shot it over 3 days and cut it in 4.

The Trainer

Audio was recorded separately on a DV camera.
The footage apart from being trancoded into Apple ProRes422 is untreated.

The edit was done with Final Cut Studio 2.

On the launch night the footage was projected with a super high grade 12K projector.
I must admit that I was expecting to see quite a few issues with the film, but happily could see NOT ONE!
Both the director and I were totally blown away by the quality and it confirmed our belief that you could
easily shoot a feature film with this camera.

Sean Lander
Regular Crew
Views: 1483
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Wrangler

Sean awesome job with that! Love it!

Couple of questions- when you say your captured the audio on another HDV camera. What cam did you use and what format did you shoot in with that cam? Did you find any sync issues with the sound?

I see it states: "The ambient audio was recorded straight from the CANON 5D. Location dialog was recorded with a LECTROSONICS radio mic into HD VIDEO CAMERA (Sony HVCAM) recorded wild and married to image in post. RODE NTG-2 shotgun mic for interviews."

So if I read this correct you used a "Lectrosonics radio mic" for the ambient and an off camera Rode NTG-2 for the interviews.

I'm assuming the NTG-2 was connected to the Sony cam via XLR but what about the Lectrosonics radio mic? Was that the mic on-camera of the 5D? If so what make & model was it- I dont even know what a "radio mic" is? Did you encounter hiss?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for sharing that.

PS How did Canon hear about the project and how did you go about having them post it on their website?!
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

That was gorgeous!
Nicely shot, edited and finished! Top notch story telling all the way.
And I liked that you did a "Making Of."

Good Show!
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Already gave it 2 thumbs up but wanted to add my positive feedback here and suggest that any would-be 5D2 story teller go have a look. It really is very good.
Tomaso Perrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys! Yeah we did use the audio from the 5Ds for ambient sounds. We also had the shotgun mic to record the more important sound fx like the Russian doing his exercise routine. The DV camera was actually a PD-170. Yes sync was an issue because we forgot to switch it to 30fps! Ooops. But it wasn't really a problem as the selected grabs were pretty short. With every answer we always got a CLAP. Probably only took an hour or two to sync all the rushes.
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

5DMK2 + Zoom H4n Portable Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lander View Post
Thanks guys! Yeah we did use the audio from the 5Ds for ambient sounds. We also had the shotgun mic to record the more important sound fx like the Russian doing his exercise routine. The DV camera was actually a PD-170. Yes sync was an issue because we forgot to switch it to 30fps! Ooops. But it wasn't really a problem as the selected grabs were pretty short. With every answer we always got a CLAP. Probably only took an hour or two to sync all the rushes.
Sean,
For what it's worth, Capture 5DMK2 audio to the Zoom H4n Portable Recorder, or several if need be. In FCP apply the application Pluraleyse to sync all audio and video tracks. Takes about 30 sec, mate.

The link provides info on fine tuning audio. Apple J, Speed, 29.97 fps.

Gadgets for 5D Mark2 on Vimeo

Ron.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lander View Post
Probably only took an hour or two to sync all the rushes.
I'll second Ron's recommendation - Pluraleyes is a must have, not just for syncing dual system sound but also multiple cameras as well. No need to clap shots either, just let the audio recording run continuously, start and stop the camera(s) as desired, throw it all on a timeline and grab a beer (if it's early enough) or coffee (late night edit) while PluralEyes does all the work.
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the useful info guys!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery