my first attempt at time lapse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old September 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #1
my first attempt at time lapse
Todd Sheridan Todd Sheridan is offline September 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM

so, here is my first attempt at doing a time lapse 'video'.
i'm relatively happy with it, considering it was more or less a test and my first attempt,
but i would definitely appreciate any suggestions etc. for improvement.

i shot 1000 frames, taken at 6 second intervals.
used my laptop and the eos software as the intervalometer.
i set my camera to aperture priority, and automatic ios exposure (i figured this was probably the best way to get a 'constant' exposure, but maybe there are better options?).

i shot in raw so i could get the highest resolution in order to do zooms, pans, etc. in post.
but, i ended up having to convert to jpg anyway, because quicktime (which i used to 'assemble' the time lapse) would not work with the raw files.
but, at least i have the raw files if needed in the future.

the most obvious concern i have is that there seems to be a lot of "flicker", which i know if probably impossible to completely avoid when doing time lapse, but was also wondering if there was anything i should be doing in order to reduce/prevent this?
if it's something that is done in post, i'm not as concerned (i'm a shooter, not an editor), but if i am doing something wrong while actually shooting the photos, it would be good to know.

anyway, here it is. i'm including 2 clips. the first is the straight time lapse, the 2nd is the same shot but with zooms/pans/tilts added (i know the movements aren't great, but that seems to be a limit of finalcut, which im ok with).

thanks in advance for thoughts, comments, advice.

Todd Sheridan
Regular Crew
Views: 2369

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery