Short Film shot on 5D Mark II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old October 11th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Short Film shot on 5D Mark II
David H. Castillo David H. Castillo is offline October 11th, 2010, 11:50 AM

“Va Fa Napoli, Hipster” premiered two weeks ago at two film festivals, The Coney Island Film Festival and The Williamsburg International Film Festival. It will be screened again at the Red Hook International Film Festival Oct 16th.

An elderly man exacts revenge on the hipsters that have plagued his beloved Brooklyn neighborhood.
Shot on location in Williamsburg, Brooklyn with the Canon 5D Mark II.
The directorial debut of Matt Weckel was produced by Andrea Fumagalli, and shot by David Castillo.

The film was shot all in one day on location in Williamsburg with the Canon 5D Mark II.

Equipment used
Canon 5D Mark II
24-105mm F4 L lens w/ polarizer filter
Spider dolly -Losmandy
Jib
Process trailer
12x12 butterfly
B boards

Canon 5D Mark II Settings
24p
ISO 100
1/250- 1/500
F 5.6- F11
Picture style neutral

Adobe after effects
Magic Bullet

David Castillo
Blue Barn
Blue Barn

David H. Castillo
Cinematographer
Views: 4360
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Very nice film, David. I really liked it. The 5D2 stands up well. You didn't 'overuse' the dolly and jib too, it was just right. Hope you guys fare well in the festivals.
Old October 12th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Koster View Post
You didn't 'overuse' the dolly and jib too, it was just right.
I agree -- nicely done, (I know first hand how easy it is to "overuse" equipment that you suddenly have access to). The only thing that I'd like to see worked on a bit more is the color grading and the use of DOF -- it looked a bit too much like video for my taste. But still, it is a nice little silly/funny story, certainly worth watching. Thanks for sharing.

-- peer
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, a nice little film. It's refreshing to see someone who isn't trying to emulate typical Hollywood genre-films in their film-making with this camera. I also think that DOF is ultimately a creative decision and there is no reason why we should feel that every piece shot with the 5D II requires a shallow DOF to differentiate the images that this camera makes from video.

On the slightly nit-picking front there is a continuity error in the cut from the wide shot of the woman taking on her phone (both hands on handle bars) to the mid shot (phone held out in one hand). Of course I understand that this shouldn't be the sort of thing the cinematographer has to pick up on, just something I noticed.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Denham View Post
It's refreshing to see someone who isn't trying to emulate typical Hollywood genre-films in their film-making with this camera. I also think that DOF is ultimately a creative decision and there is no reason why we should feel that every piece shot with the 5D II requires a shallow DOF to differentiate the images that this camera makes from video.
In general, I could agree with this sentiment. But in this case, regarding this particular film, I think the video-look hurt. Badly. This is because everything else was set up as a nice take on the classic Vittorio De Sica's "The Bicycle Thief" -- everything from the opening title to the music, (and, of course, also the theme of the film). Hence, since the 5d2 can easily emulate such classic film look, I think this was a missed opportunity.

-- peer
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Wrangler

It is a nice film and well-conceived. I think much of the visual tells the story well and I like the nicely restrained fill lighting. I love a film that succeeds without dialogue!

I'm going to counter what has been said here regarding the dolly shots...for my taste, not always the best choices. There are times where the frame is static and I might liked to have seen movement, and other times where the movement seemed arbitrary. The most egregious of these was where the biker sat down on the bench and we pull back. Because the track is in a straight line we are pulling away from the subject and I'm not quite sure what that achieves. I might have opted for an arcing shot to a rake on the two of them, doable with the Spider dolly on the Flextrak. Those are tough to operate on a non-rideable version of the Spider (I have one myself)--even on the existing straight-line version there's quite a bit of hesitation in the backpan.

I have a few compositional nitpicks--I think the opening shot is not particularly strong--might have been better to have been a few feet to the right so that the door is more on the edge of the frame, and tilted up or moved closer to eliminate some of the sidewalk which doesn't do much for me. Likewise in the next shot--tilted up to play the architecture of the church and minimize our "hero" to the bottom of the frame; I would have liked to see all of the arch.

The shot of the bicycle being locked (later echoed as the middle shot in the sequence of the gent snipping it) is a bit loose--having that piece of the actor's faces in both versions of the shot is neither here nor there. A little tighter would have helped.

Finally: the jib shot of the reveal of the bicycles. This is a situation where the camera creates the joke; the timing and design of this kind of shot is critical. Think early Coen brothers. It's a two part joke, really: oh, he's done this before, and oh, he's done this a LOT. The current version is a bit leisurely and once four bikes are visible (the furthest one gives it away even before he drops the bike), both parts of the joke are basically over but we just sit and wait for the move to stop. I would have opted to position the jib out over the bikes and pull straight back from the actor, skimming the stack of bikes and booming as you go to end up with the big pile of bikes in the foreground and a little figure in the background heading out the gate. Thus the gag is extended. It's like a comic version of the train station in "Gone With the Wind" or the opening shot of "Star Wars"--just when you think there can't be any more dead bodies or Imperial ship, they/it keep coming.

While I'm being an intolerable loudmouth, I'll also nitpick the directorial choice with the reaction of the guy whose bike is stolen; he should have registered anger first then turning to bewilderment as he picks up the cane. Funnier, and more realistic.

Keep it and I look forward to your next effort!
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Cinematographer

Thank you all of you for watching the film. I really appreciated the detailed feedback and I passed the comments along to the director.

On the subject of DOF. The creative choice of avoiding extremely shallow Depth of Field was made to give a lighter tone to the piece and emphasize the comical nature of the story.

Thanks

Castillo
David H. Castillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #8
New Boot

Nothing beats a good punchline =D
Xin Jin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery