Best solution for wedding same day edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best solution for wedding same day edit

Hello everyone.
What's the best option for wedding same day edit? (I think I would not need so much disk space)

It will be used with sony camcorders (pd170 and z1)

Thanks
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If you use a hard-drive based recorder like the Firestore FS4 you can edit the footage on that directly, with no transfer time required. So get one of those for your main camera and download short clips from other cameras via FireWire (to save money compared to buying several Firestores), and you're ready to go.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I read something about carrying the laptop into a backpack with a firewire connect to the camera, does this work?

I looked for firestore and I think it's like a dream not need to capture the footages anymore, but it's too expensive for me now, because I have so many other things in mind.

Thanks
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a Focus FS4-ProHD and found that in one respect it fails to operate as advertised when used for HDV. In the switch-over between 2gb clips it has a dropout every time. If you hunt around on the web about this you will find some discussion on it.

I have not used my FS-4 in almost a year because it serves no purpose as far as HDV is concerned. I am sure that for DV it works fine, though.
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

NO Frames Dropped with my JVC DR-HD100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Cardone View Post
I have a Focus FS4-ProHD and found that in one respect it fails to operate as advertised when used for HDV. In the switch-over between 2gb clips it has a dropout every time. If you hunt around on the web about this you will find some discussion on it.

I have not used my FS-4 in almost a year because it serves no purpose as far as HDV is concerned. I am sure that for DV it works fine, though.
Wesley,

I'm not sure which camera and NLE you are using but I have been shooting live events, docs and promos with two JVC 100U's cameras directly onto my ProHD DR-HD units over the past year and have NEVER lost a single frame between 2GB clips. I just shot another wedding last weekend and was able to turn around the footage immediately without any dropout issues you are describing. Perhaps it has to do with that fact that my units are JVC oriented FS drives.

Just wanted to add my experience to the thread

Cheers,

Michael Lafleur
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics