Need help with a video server software application... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM   #1
New Boot

Need help with a video server software application...

HI,
I work for the federal government and we are updating the TV studio here in my building.
A little background:
We have a direct fiber link and ID to all off the major news organizations like Bloomberg and such. the official usually sits in a chair with various backgrounds (no chroma key) and video and audio is transmitted to the other end, there is a full duplex video and audio connection, we have been requested to move to high definition.

My goal is to move to solid state technology so I recommended the AG-HPX300 to be used as a Studio camera.

We also need to follow the official around and record and archive every public thing he does.
I suggested using the AG-HPX170 as a field camera.

sometimes we need a simple small low profile camera for taking video while "on the run"
a very light (not expensive looking) camera would fit the bill. I suggested the AG-HMC150

currently, we have an AVID system for editing the video and publishing however the AVID system is super overkill and can be way to complex for the general cut and burn stuff that is needed. I would like to replace the avid AVID system with an ADOBE suite.

but here is the thing, we need a video server.
we have thousands of hours of archived tape that needs to be moved to a digital format, (physical storage space has become a real issue).
on any given day someone will stop into the office and would like a DVD of some footage that was archived last year, last week and yesterday. this can be a big problem since all of the stuff is on tape and there is no real organization as to the contents of the tape.

so...

I want to build a video server to hold all of the archive footage.
the hardware aspect of the server would be:
TYAN S7010 mobo,
2 Quad-Core Xeon X5560 2.8GHz CPU,
24 gigs DDR3 1333,
256 GB SSD SATA2 system drive,
256 GB SSD SATA2 storage drive,
Fusion R800RAID with Controller 16 TB to start.
Windows 2008 Server edition

There will be satellite workstations (I7 Core based) with video editing suites and MOTU V4HD interfaces networked to the main video server.

my biggest hurdle is the the video server application.

I am trying to find an application that will let me search the video data base, pull up and review videos, stack the ones i want in a cue, then give me the option to burn them to a DVD with the simple click of a mouse.

The interface should be easy for anyone to use.

does anyone know of such an application, and if not, can i build one?
thanks
Brian Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:40 AM   #2
New Boot

i wonder if i posted this under the wrong topic...

I am really beside myself, we need to come up with a solution for a video server interface that will let you search for videos, review them and drop the ones you want into some sort of cue, then click on a big red button that will burn your video selection to a dvd or transfer them to a thumbdrive.

I have contacted a few companies and nobody seems to know of a solution, one person even questioned the legality of what i wanted to do, i reiterated that ALL of the video stored on the server would be public domain and every single frame of video and sample of audio is generated by our own in house staff with our own cameras and equipment.

is what i want to do illegal?
Brian Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Major Player

I think you need to look at newsroom based server systems--kind of outside the DVInfo user base. Dunno where to direct you, sorry.
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Tourist

Video server and archive

I think you'll be a lot happier with a Final Cut solution for the edit setup. The Macs will also be easier to handle for most of your staff in making DVDs, simple edits etc.
For a server, Final Cut Server seems to be what you need. And for re-purposing your existing legacy tape material consider Telestream products they are nicely automated for this sort of mass re-purposing.

Neil
Neil Sadwelkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

How far are you from Nat Geo HQ? They are an Avid shop and could probably help you with archiving issues (what systems do they use....). Wouldn't hurt to give them a call.
Also there are several system integrators in the DC Metro area you could reach out to, whether Mac or PC. There is a pretty good outfit up in Smithsburg MD that is a Panasonic reseller and has extensive experience with studio systems integration. For Mac, search "digital video chantilly va" in google.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics