SDHC Cards for archiving - how robust are they? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 29th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #1
Major Player

SDHC Cards for archiving - how robust are they?

I've had a search but not found anything already on this (not to say i just couldn't find it).

How robust are these flash cards in the long term? The prices of 32GB are coming down all the time and with the macbook having SD slots and no bluray then it does seem like a possible archiving solution.

I do have bluray on the PC though and also SDLT but tape is such a slow and painful process to backup and restore and if these cards will hold data indefinately then they'd be a very small, fast access and convienent way to archive?

many thanks
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Major Player

I just found your post and am wondering the same thing. Sometimes it takes a month or two to get to editing a wedding.
That question will be answered soon as more and more people go tapeless.
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Bill,

I never really found any concrete information. I suspect this is a sign that the manufacturers don't recommend this as a long term archival method.

I'm still eager to hear otherwise.

I have bluray, sDLT etc,. but to be able to archive onto tiny 64GB SDXC cards would be much more useful.

Having said that i know from experience that a few months worth is fine, so perhaps for your use it would make sense.

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics