how to record directly to hdd from dvx100a? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 26th, 2004, 09:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how to record directly to hdd from dvx100a?

I am completely new to all this and just got my beauty :) Now I am interested in digitizing some of my VHSs. Can anyone provide me with the guiedelines on what settings (if any) I should use on my DVX, what software I need and how the whole process looks like. As far as I understood I can bypass recording to dv tape, which would make it really inconvenient and wear out heads, am I right? I would really appreciate your ideas!

Alexey
Alexey Ravichev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Alexey,

I am not totally familiar with the ins and outs of the DVX100A, but with most DV camcorders, it is possible to connect an analog device (such as a VHS deck), and convert the analog inputs to DV via the camcorder's DV port (you would usually have to set the camcorder to VCR mode). In this case, the camcorder is acting purely as an analog to DV converter.

It would then be possible to output the DV stream to a DV disk recorder such as FireStore and record the output directly to disk. This may also work with capturing to a computer, but you would obviously not be able to control the device (e.g. the VHS deck) from the NLE's capture window.

Hope that helps.
Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

PC software?

Thanks Matt! I thought nobody is going to answer me. I am going to capture to PC as my budget was drained by my camera purchase :)

So my understanding is that I put my dvx into vcr mode and leave it in stop mode, connect it to pc and VHS, then if I press play on the VHS vcr my camcoder will give me coded video without any need to press REC/PLAY/... or whatever, right? And no settings in the camera are going to affect the output video, right? Then the last thing I guess is how do I capture it, is there any software that will allow me to capture this? what is the best for it?

Hope I got it all right and will look forward for your software recommendations!

Thanks again!
Alexey
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #4
New Boot

As simple as that. Put the DVX100 in VCR mode, connect it to a Firewire card, connect the VHS to the DVX100 and... download Scenalyser soft. This is a must for efficient capture, really.
Bastien Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Bastein! I'll try to check it out today. And since DVX is in VCR mode, I guess no DVX settings affect the capture, right?
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:15 PM   #6
New Boot

Yup! It act simply as a pass thru A/D converter... Once again, check this: http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html
Bastien Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #7
Major Player

I too have not used this camcorder but my Sony's both require a menu setting change to enable AV/DV-in, since their usual job is the other way around - as in outputting to a VCR from the PC.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #8
New Boot

Input selection is auto on vcr mode.
Bastien Bouchard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics