DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   Tapeless Acquisition -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/26093-tapeless-acquisition-various-topics.html)

Miguel Lombana May 17th, 2004 12:55 AM

Tapeless Acquisition -- various topics

Tapeless Tech Research

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the subject of tapeless media via new cams coming down the pike or out there now and found the following links. Hope this helps a little.

http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/126/1/3
http://www.broadcastpapers.com/news/PanasonicSSM01.htm
http://www.digitaljournalist.org/iss...stead_nab.html
http://www.b-roll.net/NAB/main.html
http://www.dvformat.com/articles/vie...e.jsp?id=16958

Tons of info from NAB2004 http://www.abcdv.com/article/archive/87/

Kent Dammand June 1st, 2004 02:10 PM

a Powerbook in production

any tips on using a Powerbook in production?

anyone going straight to disk from the camera

or do you need a special product for this?

Rob Lohman June 2nd, 2004 02:05 AM

I'm PC based but I can just start my capture tool when my camera
is connected and start capturing as I would when capturing a
tape in the camera.

Try it out on your tools! I'd say they should work in the same
way.

Roy Beazley September 6th, 2004 09:08 PM

Anyway to make this work on a JVC X2bu?

Just wondering about this set up

Thanks
RB

Daniel Kohl September 12th, 2004 02:06 PM

FS4 at the IBC

I was at the IBC in Amsterdam yesterday to meet Matt McEwen and take a close look at the FS4 Prototype. All I can say is that I am very impressed. If the production FS4 is what the prototype promises it to be, then this device will shake-up the direct to disk market.

It promises to have all the functionality of the FS3, at a much lower cost. There are some things that I learned about the FS4 that I didn‘t see on its spec sheet though:

The FS4 has a two dimensional menu navigation scheme as apposed to the more linier menu navigation of the FS3. I think this is a big improvement.

The mini phono jack on the top of the FS4 between the two Firewrire ports is an input for a simple switch trigger. If I understand this correctly, this makes it possible to trigger the FS4 using a simple momentary switch. The potential of this function is somewhat staggering. This makes it possible to trigger recording on a camera that has been installed in a difficult to reach location, by means of a mechanical switch, or contact. This is useful for animation applications as well as for building video traps with the help of pressure contacts, light gates or motion detectors.

There is a mini phono jack on the bottom of the unit for the external power and charging cable. (My only suggestion to Focus is to make this power input jack a different one from the trigger input jack on the top of the unit.)

The FS4 can run off the Firewire power bus on Macs, but the battery won‘t be charged by it.

That‘s about it. The rest is in the speck sheet. Matt said the Pro version would run around 800 USD.

My suggestion to anyone thinking about investing in a direct to disk solution, is to wait until November or December for this product to become available, if they can. I think that those who buy a quickstream or Citidisk now, will be kicking themselves when the FS4 hits the market. I know that I am now glad that my experiences with the latter two products was so bad, because if one of them would have worked, and I would now own one, I would be kicking myself right now.

It was also a pleasure to meet Matt, kind of weird when the virtual world intersects with the real world.

Btw, Matt has an Australian accent.

thanks Chris for having made this site - it‘s not just fun.

John Jay September 26th, 2004 01:39 PM

Component Portable D2D HDV Solution?

Dont know if such a beast exists, but Im thinking along the lines of a Kona card with removable Harddrive all in a portable box with rechargeble battery to record HDV component

Nick Campos October 1st, 2004 07:06 AM

Anyone using a ibook to capture?

Hey all.
Just wondering if it were possible to capture dvcpro50 footage through the ibooks firewire?...

just a thought...

Alex Filacchione October 12th, 2004 10:46 PM

FW capture cards - necessary?

Are most people using something like a Pyro 1394DV for getting video into their PC via firewire, or the standard Motherboard FW ports, or generic FW PCI cards, or what?

Thanks,

Alex F

Ian Hurd November 16th, 2004 07:22 AM

FS-4 Vs Quickstream HDD?

Hi there, does anyone know anything about the differences between the Firestore FS-4 and the Quickstream DV capture harddrives?
I like the idea of being able to capture using this method and then use fiewire to upload rushes onto my Mac but I also like the idea of having a few cameras recording at the same time and sending live feeds via firewire and optic repeaters straight to a digital mixer so I can mix on the fly!

If anyone has any information which could make a difference to what I would like to do it would help me immensley cuz at the mo they are looking pretty identicle? Is there anything I should be looking for?

Ian.

John Hatchett January 26th, 2005 05:06 PM

Experience with ADS Pyro Drive

Anyone have experience with the ADS Pyro Drive?

http://www.adstech.com/products/API_...asp?pid=API820

Barry Green January 30th, 2005 02:10 PM

No experience with it, but it's the same basic drive as the QuickStream and CitiDisk (Shining makes it and OEM's it to the MCE and ADS).

Steve Witt February 15th, 2005 10:21 PM

hard drive and tapes at same time??

Is it possible to record to the miniDV tapes and to the harddisk at the same time??? thanks in advance.

Barry Green February 15th, 2005 10:37 PM

Definitely, if you're using an external hard disk recorder like the Firestore or an external hard-disk recording program like DV Rack.

Daniel Limoges March 5th, 2005 08:42 AM

Which is the best notebook for the canon XL2 ?

Which is the best notebook for the canon XL2 to have (in realtime capture ) the best result possible ?
Is widescreen are good option ?
A notebook has $1000.00 is this a good thing ?
If yes ,which company ...acer ,toshiba ,lg ibm ...?
Thanks a lot !

Rob Lohman March 6th, 2005 06:14 AM

What do you mean with "best" and "for the Canon XL2"?

What exactly do you want to do? Do you just want to edit? Do
you want to capture as well? Do you want to run DV Rack? Which
programs are you going to be using?

With DV work harddisk is most important (and I would go with at
least 512 MB of ram). There are some 7200 RPM harddisks available
in laptops these days, but most people seem to use external
USB(2)/firewire drives (I prefer drives who have both interfaces!)
for speed, flexability and storage space.

Shannon Rawls March 6th, 2005 11:44 PM

"External Recording Control" on the Sony HDV cameras...

Of the many unique features that the Sony HDV camera has over other cameras (shot transition, overscan, etc...) Has anyone tried the new External Recording Control?

it's kinda cool

I turned the ERC on in the menu and used a 75' Firewire cable to plug a little Sony TRV17 minidv handycam camera to my Z1. I made sure the Z1 was downconverting the HD image. Then, I gave it a go...and it worked flawlessly. Everytime I hit the record button on the Z1, the little TRV17 camera began recording on its minidv tape as well. Everytime I hit the button again to stop recording, so did the smaller TRV17......all this, seventy five feet away. *smile*

This sure is a handy dandy way of double system recording your footage in DV to a backup MiniDV cassette if you want to. If I had a SOny Clamshell, I wold really be in business. *smile* it has two modes of operation as well.

Anybody else have any input on how they used this feature?

- ShannonRawls.com

Christopher C. Murphy March 7th, 2005 06:24 AM

Hey, that's really good information to know. Thanks! It's usefull if you are shooting a sit down interview and want to have a SD mini-dv version to hand off to someone. Very cool...thanks Shannon!

T. Nicholas March 8th, 2005 10:51 AM

Replacing broken tape mechanism?

I've got a GL-1 that won't accept tapes anymore. Could I revive it by using a tapless HD etc. like firestorm or other setup?

Could I just use it as a camera hooked up to a Powerbook or other laptop?

I won't take tapes so will this stop me?

Thanks for your advice as I am a newcomer to all this.

Terry

Daniel Kohl March 8th, 2005 02:05 PM

Hi Terry,

I think that just about all of the D2D solutions on the market at the moment, should solve your problem of having a DV camera that won't tape. That was one of my initial reasons for looking into such a device.

The only disadvantage you will have with a camera with broken tape mechanism, is that you will have to probably start recording by pushing a button on the capture device rather than being able to use the camera's record button to trigger recording. Other than that, you should have no problem recording a Firewire DV signal from your "broken" camera.

Here is a link to a thread dealing with the problems of doing what you are suggesting using a powerbook.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22097

And DV Rack seems to be a good solution for Windows based laptops.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Brian Burns April 9th, 2005 11:33 AM

Anyone tried the Archos?

I was looking at this and it can record in MPEG4 and native AVI. You can get a 100GB HD in them.

Has anyone tried this or seen it in action?

http://www.archos.com/products/overv...ech_specs.html

I saw a thread that mentioned this in Nov 2004 but not much else since.

Rob Lohman April 10th, 2005 06:24 AM

This would most likely kill your quality:
Quote:

MPEG-4 SP with ADPCM stereo sound, near SVCD quality (optimised resolution for standard TV through composite video line-in) with up to 512x384 @ 30 f/s, in AVI format.
SVCD quality is good, but not near original DV quality.

Near SVCD quality is worse. 512 x 384 is too low in my opinion
for any serious work.

On top of all this it only has analog in, so you are then going to do:

analog -> digital (CCD/CMOS chip) -> analog (s-video/composite) -> digital (archos)

With all sort of color space conversions and whatnot inbetween.

Selim Aydin May 15th, 2005 02:21 AM

have no audio with DV-AVI recording...

Hi guys,

I dealt hours with the issue, tried everything but could not resolve... My miniDV camera is JVC GR-D33AG & notebook is HP zt3000. I use Win Movie Maker to record video from my camera to the computer, using firewire. When i chose .wmv formats, the quality of the video is quite poor even if i choose "high quality" (but had no problem with audio). So I had to try DV-AVI. This time video was OK but audio was not recorded at all.

Could anybody help me with this issue?

Selim.

Daniel Kohl May 18th, 2005 09:49 AM

another gadget

I saw this product advertised in a professional video and broadcast magazine here in Germany.

http://www.ffv.com/documents/MiniDVR_001.pdf

The recorded image is compressed, unfortunately, but I like it's design. It looks very solid and simple.

Dominic Jones June 3rd, 2005 10:59 AM

Flip mode for "HD Rack"...

Seeing as it looks like a new HD version of DV Rack is looking likely, can I add my voice to that of the supporters of a flip/flop mode on the new version to accomodate the micro35 cinema lens adaptor and other similar non-image-correcting devices?

Perhaps anyone else who would find the function useful can chip in and we'll start an unofficial petition?!

Peter Wiley July 5th, 2005 10:43 AM

Article on Tapeless Workflow

This article on the Apple Web site might be of interest:

http://www.apple.com/pro/film/bigelow/

Concerns the production of “The Legend of Lucy Keyes” from disk to film.

Julian Smith August 2nd, 2005 02:46 PM

best solution for hdv recording to hard drive

I want to get the best possible setup for recording from a hdv camera to a hard drive. i edit on a mac. what is the best combination that you know of. i am shoping both for camera and drive, but the drive is what is causing me the greatest trouble. all advice is greatly appreciated.

peace
julian

Julian Smith August 5th, 2005 04:48 PM

answered

I found the answer thanks to another site and user-- Firestore! this is the future of videorecording.

peace

disfasia

Robert Mackman August 26th, 2005 02:04 AM

FCP Reference Movie

Doess anyone have experience of capturing clips on FS-4 and then exporting them as a Reference movie in Final Cut Pro? This question comes from a customer of mine. He says
I've tested .mov clips from the fs-4, and they don't export as reference movie. In fact, when the clip is imported into final cut pro 5, you get a 'this clip is not optimised for final cut pro. consider recapturing it', which is not good.
(Unless I am doing something silly. However, clips captured in final cut pro seem to export fine, it's just the fs-1/3/4 clips that are
problematic.)

The only difference I can see (between fs clips and regularly captured
clips) is when you look at 'Show Movie Properties' in QT Player 7 on Mac, the tracks are ordered as sound, tc, video. Normally the tracks appear as video, sound, tc. I dont know what the implication of this order is for the video file itself, but it suggests to me that there somehow is a difference (between fs clips and regularly captured clips).

Matt McEwen August 26th, 2005 10:04 AM

Hi Robert,

I would suggest that you check your Final Cut Pro project settings. You should be selecting a PAL DV 48kHz project. We regularly check FireStore PAL QuickTime files in Final Cut Pro and have not seen a problem.

Contact our tech support group and they should be able to talk you through if you need assistance.

Best regards,

Matt McEwen

Jeff Patnaude September 13th, 2005 11:24 AM

ADVICE-Need small DVD recorder/camcorder info

I have a unique situation and am looking for a small, battery powered DVD camcorder or recorder.

I'm asssisting a pilot-friend mount several helmet-cams on his plane. He'd like to record flights with passsengers, and hand them a DVD after the flight.

Does anyone have experience with, or know of a small DVD recorder/camcorder that will take an AV input? Run on 12Volts? I've looked at a couple of the Sony DVD cams.

Info appreciated.

Jeff Patnaude

Wayne Morellini November 11th, 2005 06:59 AM

What cheap SD capture solutions are available?

What cheap SD capture solutions are available? I would like to record the SD footage in 4:4:4, RGB or RAW, in lossless or near lossless (well below 5:1) from the visual out (component, Svideo, video).

Thanks

Daniel Kohl November 23rd, 2005 04:46 AM

Possible solution to M2T file compatibility Problem

Riley Harmon suggested in a previous thread, a possible solution for people having trouble getting M2T files into FCP5.

Here is a link:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...treamclip.html

I just thought it aught to have it's own thread.

Matt Davis March 3rd, 2006 05:08 PM

Vision mixing software for Mac OS-X

Maybe this thread belongs in the same corner as General Magic's DV Rack, but on the other hand...

Has anyone got experience of vara software's products?

http://www.varasoftware.com

WireCast can take a few DV camcorder FireWire inputs, cut them together along with some DVE moves and record them to hard disk.

VideoCue does live chromakey, with vision mixer cues stored in a prompter script: as each cue passes as you read the script, the software does cuts, DVE moves and transitions to preset sources.

Both preport to record directly to hard disk.

Now, having played with the demos, I note that my 1.33GHz PowerBook 17" isn't studly enough. Has anyone else put this software to work on a G5?

Wayne Morellini May 23rd, 2006 11:12 PM

What are the different video formats direct to disk available on Firewire and USB2?

Hello

I am interested in the different modes I can record direct to disk from video cameras, compressed and uncompressed. I have noticed claims that Firewire has video formats that are different than that of MiniDV's 25Mb/s. I have even heard of recording uncompressed from SD camcorders etc.

My question is, what are the different format and data rates of different video modes available over Firewire, and USB 2.0 . In particular, those sent by SD and HD video cameras.

Thanks

Wayne.

Dan Lim July 9th, 2006 01:43 PM

search for HDD 7200rpm tapeless with firewire connection for my XL2

Hi !

It's to use with my xl2 ...i really need a HDD at 7200rpm speed (tapeless) with firewire connection ...for many reason !
100% compatible ...

Do you have some idea ?

thanks a lot

Daniel Limoges

Trevor Allin July 16th, 2006 01:45 AM

Andromeda

Hi

I have been looking at the whole anddromeda thing for the DVX100 and am now considering buying the camera in order to get Andromeda fitted! It boasts 444 uncompressed aquisition. I have one big question though, hope someone can help.

I thought that uncompressed files were huge in size. But the Andromeda signal travels down a USB2 wire and is captured on a normal SATA drive, without a raid or anything? How can that be?

Normal mini DV is 25mbps, sure Andromeda must be in excess of 50mbps (easily)?

Thanks

Trevor

Seth Chambers August 18th, 2006 11:15 AM

HD Time-Shifting for LIVE events...

Hi all, I am with a church in Fresno, CA. We will soon be creating a remote video based venue that will allow alternate worship style, while still having the same sermon as our live venue. We will be shooting in HD (Sony HDR-FX1) and doing a wireless push to another building on the campus.

We would like the availability to time-shift the feed to allow the remote venue to start at any time after transmission. What we would need is at least two HD based DVR's (one on the transmission side for archival purposes and one on the reception side for re-broadcast). We might even need a third unit for redundancy purposes on the rebroadcast side.

I have some questions that I was hoping you might answer (hopefully leading to a purchase in the very near future). What I am most interested in is:

1) What card would you suggest for HD input?

2) Are there any HD cards that have HD capable inputs other than Coax for Antenna / Cable? All the cards I have seen (MDP-130 for example) only have SVid and Composite input. Ideally I would like component as well as HDV inputs.

3) What output card would be needed? Is there any card that sends out a direct video feed without the computer interface?

4) Does the speed of a 7200RPM IDE HDD allow for 2 HD feeds to be recorded at once?

5) How are files stored locally when they are recorded? As MPG-4?

6) If a standard DVD-RW is available, is there an easy way to transcode the HD feeds in REALTIME to SD for standard DVD playback?

Thanks for your time regarding these questions. I really appreciate it!!

Mark Twittey September 1st, 2006 01:14 PM

Dv recording which device?

G'day
I want to use a DTD device on my Sony Z1,
I will be using HDV tapes, but want to record on to the DTD in Pinacle AVI
to put into Liquid pro for editing, I would use the HDV tapes only for
archive.
It must be able to mount it on the camera

Any recomendations?
I'm going to IBC in amsterdam next week, I would like some advice
before visiting the stands.
Thanks

Dan Gonzales October 24th, 2006 08:14 PM

Durability of dte in dusty environment

I videotape motorsports at some very dusty place. By the end of the races there is almost always a thick layer of dusty dirt on the camera. Would a dte be a good idea in a place like this?

Eric Wotila December 27th, 2006 07:05 PM

Thinking about going tapeless... questions!

Well, my camera ate yet another tape today, and this time, it's one too many.

I was considering getting a proper playback deck, but considering I'm shooting on HDV, I'm looking at $2000 for a deck... and I still have the potential for more eaten tapes. So, after looking at pricing, I'm thinking direct-to-disk is probably the way to go.

I have a few questions before I make the move, though.

First off -- I have two cameras -- a Sony FX1 for HD, and a JVC GY-DV500 for SD. I want to make sure I can record both HDV and DV with whatever solution I go with.

I'm editing on a G5 running Final Cut Pro 5, and I don't want to deal with the hassle of transcoding. I'm looking for drag-and-drop simplicity -- as in, I copy the files from the direct to disk recorder onto one of my G5's hard drives, and from there simply drag the files into FCP and start editing.

I've looked at the Citidisk HDV and the Firestore FS-4HD. My understanding is, the Citidisk records to an m2t stream which would need to be transcoded before working with. For the FireStore, my understanding is that if I get the FS-4HD Pro, I can record straight to a QuickTime file that FCP can read. Is this correct?

I guess the only other thing I'd ask would be... any comments regarding my situation? It seems that I've read tapeless is the wave of the future... the way to go. After losing this last tape, I'd have to agree... even when factoring in the cost of archival to hard drive, I'm still not looking at paying much more per hour of footage than I am now.

For those of you who have gone tapeless... has it worked well? Is it one of those "I'd never go back to recording to tape" situations?

Thanks for any advice! :)