Alternative to DV D2D HD Recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old January 17th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1
Tourist

Alternative to DV D2D HD Recording

HI,
I'm looking for an alternative to Quickstream/CitiDisk HD Direct-to-Disk recording... While the Quickstream does function, fails to record once constant vibration levels increase... I require something based on CF Cards or RAM instead of a HD - looking for somethign without moving parts... The buffers/shock protection in the Quickstream is not sufficient...

I've come across a camera which has CF/SD recording which would be ideal, however we are using a Canopus ADVC unit to convert from an external camera, to digital for recording to the D2D unit...

Any ideas?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Regards,
Luke
Luke Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Luke,

The FireStore FS-4 has a built-in 10 second shock buffer. It is the same technology that is used in our FS-3 ENG DTE Disk recorder. You can read about some applications where FS-3 was used on some high shock environments at:

http://www.focusinfo.com/products/firestore/fs-3.html

The ADAC 24hr. race and the TR Motion and Stills stories detail FS-3 use in high shock environments.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:00 AM   #3
Tourist

Hi Matt,
Given the Quickstream DV fails to record the video once the vibrations start, what makes you so sure the FS-4 will - it still uses a HDD...

I'm leaning towards a CF device, as large capacities are available, plus no moving parts - however I'm not sure if they exist!?...

The device is to be mounted under the Pillion seat on a motorbike, and I suspect the extreme vibrations from the engine and excessive movement from the bumps is causing the problem... If it was to be used in a car, I could see that working as it's generally a smoother ride, plus has the ability to heavily pad/protect/suspend the DV recorder...

Any ideas?

Luke
Luke Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Contributor

Hi Luke,

I'm sure that you have already thought of this, but why don't you mount the recording device to the body of the person riding the bike. That could supply a bit of shock protection. If you mount anything with moving parts, to anything which has a rigid connection to the dirt-bike's chassis, you will have a problem. You might want to suspend the D2D recorders in some kind of springy rig, in the style of a microphone support.

I think that the FS-4 "should" be able to handle swinging vibrations and padded jolts. At least in theory, I didn't have the opportunity to test it, when I was working with the FS-3. Unlike the Quickstream and the Citidisk, the FS-3 and apparently the FS-4 have a 10 second RAM buffer.

However that meanes that the mechanical shock, has to stop every now and then, otherwise 10 seconds of buffer won't be enough. It sounds like you are looking for 2 and a half hours of buffer. Good luck!

I hope that this a little bit of a help.

Cheers

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics