Can I Record In DV Cam Mode Direct-To-Disk? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 5th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Trustee

Can I Record In DV Cam Mode Direct-To-Disk?

Or is that just a tape speed feature and does not come into play going directly to hard drive?

DV Cam is 8 bit with a 5 to 1 compression ratio and 4:2:0 sampling rate. Is this what goes onto the hard drive if I switch to DV Cam or must I record only to tapeto utilize DV CAM mode?
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

DVCAM is bitstream identical to DV. What you get on the hard disk will be identical, whether it's DV or DVCAM.

The difference between DV and DVCAM is not in the data, but in the way it's written to tape. Since the hard disk isn't tape, those differences disappear, and you could write DV or DVCAM to the hard disk equally -- they'll be identical.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Barry!

That's why you be "da man!"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics