Best hard drive options ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old February 27th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best hard drive options ...

Hey Everyone,

I'm just trying to find out what everyone here likes for external hard drives?

I need about 4TB in a single package to take with me on a series of shoots. I'll be using a MacBook Pro do dump all the files off my CF cards and onto the hard drives.

I need something rugged, reliable and easily transportable through the airline system and through customs.

I've always been a big fan of Western Digital and i'm currently considering this product ...

Newegg.com - Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II 4TB 7200 RPM 3.5" USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394a / IEEE 1394b / eSATA Quad Interface Dual-drive Storage System with RAID Model WDH2Q40000N

However, I don't really know if there is a more "professional" option for "field storage".

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

George
George Tasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #2
New Boot

George,
I have used a number of WD drives and had good luck with them. I have actually been looking at this same drive for the same purpose as you describe. Since I have moved away from tape acquisition, I am nervous about dumping all my footage and having a hard drive failure. I think this is a good choice because of the connectivity options and, I believe, the ability to set it up as a Raid to mirror the drives. That way if you lose one you still have a backup. Curious to know what others think.
Mike Juhl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics