Comparison of tapeless systems? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old November 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Comparison of tapeless systems?

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the available tapeless systems.

I am look for a tapeless system for my XLH1 that will record video and audio.

I will continue to use tapes for back up.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Tapeless with the Canon Xl H1

Hi Bob:
I'm using the Convergent Design Flash XDR with my H1, and I'm able to obtain outstanding results. The XDR is no longer manufactured by CD, but new ones are still available if you contact Jeff Silverman on this website. Also The Nano Flash is CD's current product and uses the exact same technology as the XDR. I have only done side by side comparisons with the H1's internal 25 Mbps HDV cassette tape & the XDR. The internal HDV camera tape holds up remarkably well compared to the XDR until you reach Long GOP 50 Mbps and then go up. In fact, the H1 and the XDR recording @ 220 Mbps in I-Frame (Intra) mode produces stunning results ! If you go up to I-Frame @ 280 Mbps, then the image quality jump is incredible ! If you're used to HDV out of the XL H1 all day, then you'll experience temporary loss of bladder control when you see what the XDR/Nano Flash can do wit this camera @ 280 Mbps I-Frame !
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Major Player

"I am look for a tapeless system for my XLH1 that will record video and audio. "

Can we assume you want a small unit that mounts on or with the camera?

Just about anything available with do both. The important questions are what do you want to do and what is your budget.

I don't know anything about the XDR, but CD's Nano is flat out amazing. It costs about $3k (US$). It has all the advantages that Mark listed.

For slightly less money, there is the Aja Ki Pro Mini. I believe it will retail for around $2k (US$). I'm not sure if it is shipping yet and I do not know if it records anything other than Quicktime ProRes 4:2:2. Might be something to consider if you are using Final Cut Pro.

At the other end of the spectrum is Sony's MRC1K units which uses CF cards and goes for about $750. A 32 GB card will give you about 3 hours of continuous recording time for both audio and video together. It has only firewire I/o so there is no separate audio-only mode. It records only the exact mode that comes out your firewire port. You shoot 30i HDV, you get 30i HDV. I got one for my XHA1 and it works so well that I gave up doing simultaneous tape for my longer shoots.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics