External Power effects on stock battery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old August 12th, 2005, 01:41 AM   #1
New Boot

External Power effects on stock battery

We are currently planning to power our firestore FS4 via the dc in port using an adaptor that bumps SONY L series batteries from 7.2 to 12 volts. We use these to power LCD monitors etc, and would like to continue to use them to power as many camera accessories as possible. I have two questions:

1. Considering that the supplied battery provides 11.1 volts, is 12 volts enough to power the unit or ddo we need 15 as the case states, and why is there a 4 volt difference between the two, I have a hard time believing that there is 11.1 to 15 volt circuitry in the unit that is engaged when using the stock battery.

2. What effect will this have on the supplied 11.1 volt battery, will it simply charge the battery from ours, and use both until drained, and will this deteriorate the life of the supplied battery due to over use and incomplete use and charging. Would it be better to power the unit using our supply with the stock battery removed? Are there any plans to supply a dummy battery with leads connected to the contacts on the current battery?

I would love to hear a response from anyone powering the unit from aftermarket components, and especially the views of Focus Enhancements.

Thanks

Sam.
Sam Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #2
Contributor

Hi Sam,

I can't answer all of your questions. But I can tell you that the FS-4 turns on and boots with 12 volts. I haven't done any tests to see how well the unit works when it is so "underpowered". I just connected my FS-4 to a third party power-supply which was set to 9 volts. I did this with the FS-4's battery pack removed. So that means you don't need a dummy battery.

From what I gather from others who have been using third party-battery arraignments, that the FS-4's battery starts charging when there is power supplied from outside. I don't know what, if any adverse effects this could have on the FS4's Li battery pack. But from what I gather about Li batteries, they should not be adversely effected by partial drain or incomplete charging - I don't know about extreme drain though.

I hope that this helps,

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #3
New Boot

Why does the unit say 15 volts on the dc jack, when it has an 11.1 volt battery?
Sam Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Contributor

I would guess that it may have something to do with there being more electro motive force (volts) needed for the process of charging the 11.1 volt battery. Maybe. (I dunno though)

DK

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #5
Contributor

Sam all Hard disk drives run off 12 volts so should be AOK. I like the idea - where did you source the inverter?
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #6
New Boot

Source of inverter...

We have a supplier that is local to us, we are located in Vancouver British Columbia, check us out at www.llsr.com .

Thanks!
Sam Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics