External recorder uncompressed vs prores? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 7th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #16
Wrangler

Re: External recorder uncompressed vs prores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kapp View Post
Follow this ilnk for $280 drives:
Corsair 256GB Internal Solid State Drive CMFSSD-256GBG2D Hard Drive Specs | PCWorld
I AM a hobbiest, but professionally trained and not all professionals shoot 2 hrs a day, depending on what you're shooting huh? In drama that would be a 60:1 ratio of footage to program.
Not very professional.
I'd love to respectfully tell you how I and my peers have worked for the last 10-20 years, and what works and what doesn't, but you seem to have some ideas in your head that can't be shaken. My only original intent was to inform casual readers that to most closely compare a Shuttle to another recorder, you have to add a lot for media.

You probably wouldn't believe the Superbowl spot I just worked on before Xmas, where we shot 3 Alexas every day, and they created 2-3 hours of ProRes444 media every day. On the 4th day, there was a 4th Alexa added.
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'd love to respectfully tell you how I and my peers have worked for the last 10-20 years, and what works and what doesn't, but you seem to have some ideas in your head that can't be shaken. My only original intent was to inform casual readers that to most closely compare a Shuttle to another recorder, you have to add a lot for media.

You probably wouldn't believe the Superbowl spot I just worked on before Xmas, where we shot 3 Alexas every day, and they created 2-3 hours of ProRes444 media every day. On the 4th day, there was a 4th Alexa added.
And my original intent, was to reply to the original poster of this thread, informing him of external recorder options for green screening, for his own use, and not commercial.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...perdeckshuttle
Black Magic Design "Create the sharpest VFX plates for match moving, compositing and more".
Do you have experience with the Shuttle?
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post

Nate, I think we have different values.
I had the opportunity of a career in broadcast television 25 years ago but turned it down due to a disdain for commercial media. Later I tried my hand at corporate video, just to get the equipment so I could pursue documentary making and such. I never achieved that and regret not taking the opportunities I was offered.
Not withstanding our differences, I respect the achievements a professional who has deep knowledge of their field, particularly in film & tv.
A friend of mine was a cameraman shooting professional football amongst other things like features. He has done things I will never do.
I will never get to use an Alexa, though I would love to.
I am videoing a stand up comedy festival event soon called, "Capitol Punishment", but sadly, I won't be using an Alexa. (I'll be using my PIX 240 though, on my JVC HM750)
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:38 PM   #19
Major Player

I ended up getting the Hyperdeck Shuttle. They dropped the price on the original version, and the Shuttle 2 doesn't add any features I am interested in. I beefed up my Mac Pro, I added a SSD for my program drive, and RAID 0 two of my internal drives (4tb total drive space), I have another single internal drive (2tb), and added an esata card, and 5 bay drive enclosure. I setup two RAID 0 drives, using four 1tb drives. Of course I have the usual assortment of usb drives for back ups. So I think the space requirements, and drive speed requirements of uncompressed are covered in the editing system. I also added a Quadro 4000 video card, so I am finally taking the time to learn Premier CS5, since I can use the video card for Mercury playback engine.

I purchased a 240gig SSD for the Hyperdeck, so that will at least get me started. Since at this time, this is all for my own personal projects, Im not too worried about having tons for media for it. But as money permits, I plan on picking up at least 2 or 3 more SSD's.

As always I appreciate all the advice and information I get from everyone here.

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kapp View Post
I have a Hyperdeck Shuttle and recently aquired a PIX 240. They both record excellent pictures.
Picking up on this post from a while ago: have you noticed any problems with noise with ProRes from the PIX (if you're using Prores)? (this is about Prores in general, nothing to do with the PIX)
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano View Post
I ended up getting the Hyperdeck Shuttle. They dropped the price on the original version, and the Shuttle 2 doesn't add any features I am interested in. I beefed up my Mac Pro, I added a SSD for my program drive, and RAID 0 two of my internal drives (4tb total drive space), I have another single internal drive (2tb), and added an esata card, and 5 bay drive enclosure. I setup two RAID 0 drives, using four 1tb drives. Of course I have the usual assortment of usb drives for back ups. So I think the space requirements, and drive speed requirements of uncompressed are covered in the editing system. I also added a Quadro 4000 video card, so I am finally taking the time to learn Premier CS5, since I can use the video card for Mercury playback engine.

I purchased a 240gig SSD for the Hyperdeck, so that will at least get me started. Since at this time, this is all for my own personal projects, Im not too worried about having tons for media for it. But as money permits, I plan on picking up at least 2 or 3 more SSD's.

As always I appreciate all the advice and information I get from everyone here.

Jeff
Sounds like a good sytem Jeff.
I find the Shuttle to be quite robust in it's operation and recording, though limited in features.
I'm actually selling my PIX 240 and will get a good viewfinder monitor and keep the change.
The Shuttle has everything I need.
All the best.
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post
Picking up on this post from a while ago: have you noticed any problems with noise with ProRes from the PIX (if you're using Prores)? (this is about Prores in general, nothing to do with the PIX)
I haven't done a serious comparison but ProRes seems on par with Uncompressed.
My camera(GY-HM750) makes quite noisy images and only outputs 8bit through SDI so it's hard to do a definitive test with it.
Word is ProRes and DNxHD are close to uncompressed in quality.
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Paul.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I have both, the Shuttle II and Ninja II.
They and all the hard drives, SSDs and Monitors are for sale.
Neither have the codec I need for 1080P 60
It is so muich better quality for my work.
I do not like the filmic look or rolling shutter.
Sharp, smooth, and detailed are important to me.
I am getting an Odyssey 7 as soon as available to use with my D5300 and GH3.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics