Fat 32 - HELP!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 24th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Fat 32 - HELP!!

Hi There

I am filming on a Sony NX5P camera with the help of Sandisk 32GB cards. I have stumbled on some issues when importing my footage to my computer (iMac 2009). All large clips get split into clips of about 12 minutes in duration. I spoke to the store I bought my camera from about this issue and he VERY briefly told me my issue was due to my computer being configured incorrectly and the way I was importing my clips.

Just another note, the Sony NX5P software is not compatible with an iMac so I currently just insert the memory card directly into the slot of my iMac and drag files from there.. I am not sure if there is another way I should be doing this?

It is all a bit over my head so if someone could help in the simplest terms possible I would be really graterful.

Thanks
Diana
Diana Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Fat 32 - HELP!!

Diana,

You're not experiencing anything unusual, don't worry. HD cameras recording to SDHC will record in files that are 4GB in size. Once they get to 4GB, it starts a new file.

It's got nothing to do with your computer being configured incorrectly, the salesperson was making that up. This is all normal behaviour for these cameras. You're not the first person to come up against this - try searching for "4gb" on this forum.

You want to copy the entire contents of the SDHC card to a folder on your computer, not individual video files. Then you want to use an import facility in your editing software to import the files, rather than just dragging video files one at a time into the software. I don't know what your software is, but most will have some sort of "import" or "capture" feature.

I'm not a Mac person, so I can't help directly with how that would work. But someone will hopefully be along soon to advise.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics