Cheapest way to just backup 5d3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 16th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Cheapest way to just backup 5d3

Thanks Ger for the update. How is the display? I think you might have just caused my credit card some pain... LOL
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #17
Major Player

Its good. Not as good as the 5d3 but bigger and with peaking its great.
Not to mention I have it on an L-bracket and can swivel it so it helps my lower back not to have to look at the 5d3 one. I can now hold it comfortably at chest height using this monitor.
The color is similar to 5d3. Seems a bit brighter alright but the peaking set to 100 seems to correspond with the overexposed parts of the file itself so in that I will trust.
BTW there is a setting called Avid DNxHD 36 which is 36mbps. Its for offline in the TV environment but its perfect as backup for what I do.
Ill keep shooting in 720p50 onto the card and let the ninja get 1080p 25 ( there does seem to be a fields issue when I have the camera at 720p50 with what the ninja records but when i conform to upper or lower field first it looks fine. Again my use for the ninja is strictly backup and what it would gather as i shoot 720p50 in camera is fine should i ever need it.
If/when im shooting an important 1080p project Ill use the apple prores codec in the ninja and get all the benefits of having it.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Major Player

I've never tried with video, but can't you write to an SD and CF card at the same time on the 5diii? I know it's a photo option, unsure if it overloads the buffer for video.
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Major Player

yea it doesnt work with video unfortunately
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #20
Major Player

I used it today professionally for the first time and yea, im impressed with the operational end. Battery runtime etc was excellent. The screen itself is a bit too low res for my liking. Its good to have to check zebras and its good for framing but I found myself looking at the back of my 5dmk3 more than I would like. That screen on the 5dmk3 is lightyears ahead of the ninja.

Last edited by Ger Griffin; October 20th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics