Some competitive devices... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 1st, 2005, 06:53 PM   #1
New Boot

Some competitive devices...

I realize that most of you guys are concentrating on Firestore (name your model) and all that, but there are a few others as well. Even while I know I may record directly to a laptop computer via Scenalyzer software which I have acquired, I am still interested in smaller portable devices, Firestore and other products.

Have any of you had any experience with the following?:

http://www.mcetech.com/quickstreamdv.html

An outfit called "Shining" (something like that) also has a competive model, noting that none of them have the small screen that gives a comprehensive status. They are cheaper then Firestore (model) per hard-drive provided.

ON EDIT: Here is the link on the "Shining" outfit that promotes their "CitiDisk" unit:

http://www.shining.com/products/tota...n/citidisk_dv/

What are your thoughts on these competitive devices?

Bill

Last edited by William Putnam; October 1st, 2005 at 08:13 PM.
William Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Bill
You could also look at a similar device by Laird called CapDiv. I think it's around $1000US. It's compatible with PC and Mac. I looked at buying one of these a while ago but decided that it was a bit pricey here in Australia.

Phil
Phil Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Holder
Hi Bill
You could also look at a similar device by Laird called CapDiv. I think it's around $1000US. It's compatible with PC and Mac. I looked at buying one of these a while ago but decided that it was a bit pricey here in Australia.

Phil
Yes, I had that one as well in my "favorites" but forgot about it. They are all a bit "pricy" but what I wanted to know was reliability. The Firestore units are well critiqued in this forum, with good points and bad points given, so that is my "benchmark," so to speak, in relationship with the other units.

What I want to know is any experience others have had with units besides the Firestore brand. Having a LED display is attractive, which the others do not have (so far as I can see) so before I buy, IF I buy, I want to benefit on the experience of others.

Anyway, thanks for your input, Phil. Since I do not need to have it lugged around with the camera (it being on a special tripod mount in my car) my laptop can easily be placed to one side, on the passenger seat suitably restrained so that it don't go flying if I get rear-ended in an accident, or prying eyes being tempted to break into my cart to steal it while I am at some resturant having a meal. :) I have "Scenalyzer" software that will easily process from a firewire link onto it's own hard-drive.

Even with the small unit, like the Firestore 4 Pro (I am considering), the lap top computer, safely stored out of sight in my car, would contain my editor software where I can first transfer from the smaller unit (or it's own hard-drive) onto an external 300 gig hard-drive from where I can then edit it at my leasure in some motel along the way.

Either way, it's money, money, money and more money! :)

Bill
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:45 AM   #4
Contributor

William,

If you do a search with "quickstream" or "citidisk" or "shining" a a search criteria, you should get a slew of threads.

In short - no one (that I have heard from) has had any luck with the quickstream/citidisk/shining device - which are all the same thing basically. The device either, doesn't work, or is not reliable.

Also search for "Pyro drive" and "nNovia" for some other alternatives.

Frankenstein meets XL1

Last edited by Daniel Kohl; October 3rd, 2005 at 08:40 AM.
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:34 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl
William,

If you do a search with "quickstream" or "citidisk" or "shining" a a search criteria, you should get a slew of threads.

In short - no one (that I have heard from) has had any luck with the quickstream/citidisk/shining device - which are all the same thing basically. It is not the device either, doesn't work, or is not reliable.

Also search for "Pyro drive" and "nNovia" for some other alternatives.
Thank you, Daniel, for your response, which was about what I expected.

I wanted to hear from a "professional" and get good advice, and you did exactly that! :)

Bill
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I got a DSR-DU1, some kind of ancestor to all DV drive, and until know, i found it rock solid and very reliable (professional sony style).
Strangely it was realeased to early, not really advertised, and has almost disappeared (price was probably to professional too , about 2300$, but fortunately a got 2 of them for 1200$, 600$ each)
only drawback is that it is not really a PC firewire drive, so you can see it more like a tapeless recording system , than like a real firewire drive.

http://www.vistek.ca/deals/details.a...&mkt=clearance

but you can probably get it for less

http://www.broadcastbaron.com/bottomsaleframenew8.htm
(they got 3 left for 1000$ !)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-DSR-DU1-DVCA...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.productionhub.com/equipme....asp?item=4128
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:31 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
I got a DSR-DU1, some kind of ancestor to all DV drive, and until know, i found it rock solid and very reliable (professional sony style).
Strangely it was realeased to early, not really advertised, and has almost disappeared (price was probably to professional too , about 2300$, but fortunately a got 2 of them for 1200$, 600$ each)
only drawback is that it is not really a PC firewire drive, so you can see it more like a tapeless recording system , than like a real firewire drive.

http://www.vistek.ca/deals/details.a...&mkt=clearance
Yikes! The size does not bother me as I would not be carrying it around with me, but the PRICE!

The one offered got sold already!

I've seen this unit already, earlier on in my research into the subject, but found it to be a bit too much. For about $1500 + or -, I can get the Firestore Pro with the 80 gig drive!

You certainly got a bargain, getting two of them for $1200! :)

But then, for about $100 more, I can get the Firstore base model with the same hard-drive capacity...

Thanks for your input, Giroud...

Bill
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

http://www.broadcastbaron.com/bottomsaleframenew8.htm
(they got 3 left for 1000$ !)

do not know if the three items are still there, but for 1000$ it is really a good business.
The size is probably the same as the FS-4 with an optional pack that allow to mount the drive on the back of many camera (DSR serie for example).
for info i "upgraded" mine with a 100$ 80gig drive and it works well (except for the counter that shows 12 hours of video when only 6 are available).
You can find this kind of device on the back of an HD F900 (with miranda converter HD-SDI to DV) for pre-view in very high professional setup.
And you will find no forum dealing with problems about this device....
Only regrets, it does not handle HDV.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #9
Trustee

The great thing about the nNovia is it has analog inputs as well as 1394 as I recall. That means you can use it to capture DV with analog cameras. A very nice feature.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics