DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   Cheapest but reliable external HD recorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/524375-cheapest-but-reliable-external-hd-recorder.html)

Matt Thomas August 3rd, 2014 12:14 PM

Cheapest but reliable external HD recorder

What's the cheapest but also reliable external HD recorder out/available at the moment? It will be used for a HDMI cable. I'm also in the UK, so some brands seem to be harder to get over here, looked at both the Hyperdeck Shuttle and Atmos (the cheapest one, I forget the name) so far, but both have pros and cons depending on the recording medium.

Thanks

Kevin Langdon September 16th, 2016 02:42 AM

Re: Cheapest but reliable external HD recorder

Blackmagic Video Assist could be a viable option (HD version as it's cheaper than the 4K model)?

Vince Baker September 16th, 2016 06:39 AM

Hi Matt,

Can highly recommend the Ninja Blade (if you are looking at HD and not 4K). Really affordable and the dual power battery (hot swap during recording) is great and the removable media is also really a great and cheap solution as you can use your own 2.5 HDs that are really cheap (£39 for a 1TB in the UK is what I have been buying)

Jeff Pulera September 16th, 2016 07:22 AM

I've been using the Ninja 2 for a few years now with excellent results. No need for expensive SSDs if shooting on a tripod, spinning drives work great for me for all-day recording. Just make sure to choose a drive from the Atomos-recommended list on their site. Ninja 2 also has the dual-battery power system using commodity Sony-style batteries, or of course AC power is also included.

Thanks

Jack Zhang September 16th, 2016 04:07 PM

If you're on PC NLEs, try to find a used NanoFlash. Very reliable with the right cards and universally compatible unlike the ProRes stuff out there currently.

Samer Aslan September 20th, 2016 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1921024)
If you're on PC NLEs, try to find a used NanoFlash. Very reliable with the right cards and universally compatible unlike the ProRes stuff out there currently.

+1 for that. A used nanoflash is the best option imho. I have two of them and still using them for broadcast world and for backup and use it to handle CF cards to journalists etc. Never failed me!

Anthony McErlean September 20th, 2016 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samer Aslan (Post 1921166)
+1 for that. A used nanoflash is the best option imho.!

I use the NF as a backup when recording my weddings.
What I like about it is, after coming home from recording a wedding I can remove my two CF cards and keep them in storage until the bride gets her DVDs.

This works great for me now while I have my current camera (PMW-320)
I don't how things will work if I move to a smaller camera that might not have a DC or SDI Output.

Tony McGuire August 21st, 2018 03:24 AM

I am looking for a hdmi recorder that I could use with my video mixer to record the live output.

there is perview output which can be switch to be the same as the main output but is at 576p the main output can be scaled to up to 1080p or 1920x1080 as in vga as the main output also has vga and it cannot be scaled sepertly from the main hdmi output. I have get it set to 1280x720 which is as good as 720p.

David Peterson August 21st, 2018 09:51 PM

The Atomos Ninja 2 is so dirt cheap secondhand, I wouldn't bother spending any less than that, as having at least a basic screen is so handy.