Cheapest but reliable external HD recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Cheapest but reliable external HD recorder

What's the cheapest but also reliable external HD recorder out/available at the moment? It will be used for a HDMI cable. I'm also in the UK, so some brands seem to be harder to get over here, looked at both the Hyperdeck Shuttle and Atmos (the cheapest one, I forget the name) so far, but both have pros and cons depending on the recording medium.

Thanks
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 02:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Cheapest but reliable external HD recorder

Blackmagic Video Assist could be a viable option (HD version as it's cheaper than the 4K model)?
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Matt,

Can highly recommend the Ninja Blade (if you are looking at HD and not 4K). Really affordable and the dual power battery (hot swap during recording) is great and the removable media is also really a great and cheap solution as you can use your own 2.5 HDs that are really cheap (£39 for a 1TB in the UK is what I have been buying)
Old September 16th, 2016, 07:22 AM   #4
Major Player

I've been using the Ninja 2 for a few years now with excellent results. No need for expensive SSDs if shooting on a tripod, spinning drives work great for me for all-day recording. Just make sure to choose a drive from the Atomos-recommended list on their site. Ninja 2 also has the dual-battery power system using commodity Sony-style batteries, or of course AC power is also included.

Thanks
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If you're on PC NLEs, try to find a used NanoFlash. Very reliable with the right cards and universally compatible unlike the ProRes stuff out there currently.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
If you're on PC NLEs, try to find a used NanoFlash. Very reliable with the right cards and universally compatible unlike the ProRes stuff out there currently.
+1 for that. A used nanoflash is the best option imho. I have two of them and still using them for broadcast world and for backup and use it to handle CF cards to journalists etc. Never failed me!
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer Aslan View Post
+1 for that. A used nanoflash is the best option imho.!
I use the NF as a backup when recording my weddings.
What I like about it is, after coming home from recording a wedding I can remove my two CF cards and keep them in storage until the bride gets her DVDs.

This works great for me now while I have my current camera (PMW-320)
I don't how things will work if I move to a smaller camera that might not have a DC or SDI Output.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 03:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I am looking for a hdmi recorder that I could use with my video mixer to record the live output.

there is perview output which can be switch to be the same as the main output but is at 576p the main output can be scaled to up to 1080p or 1920x1080 as in vga as the main output also has vga and it cannot be scaled sepertly from the main hdmi output. I have get it set to 1280x720 which is as good as 720p.
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 09:51 PM   #9
Major Player

The Atomos Ninja 2 is so dirt cheap secondhand, I wouldn't bother spending any less than that, as having at least a basic screen is so handy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics