Pan AG-HVX200 1080/24P PII Card or MiniDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old February 21st, 2006, 12:27 AM   #1
New Boot

Pan AG-HVX200 1080/24P PII Card or MiniDV?

I'm looking at purchasing a couple of HVX200 cams for a media production company I work for, but I heard from a friend in the industry that this cam will only record 1080 / 24P mode onto the PII card, and that the only way to record 24P onto a MiniDV tape was in 720p HD mode. Is this true? Anyone have any insight?

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.

- Edward Abbey
Ryan Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 12:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The HVX200 can only record DV signals onto miniDV tape, not any HD formats. Eventually you should be able to record HD on the upcoming Firestore drive for this camera (and other similar DTE drives), but for now HD can only be recorded to P2 cards.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 12:45 AM   #3
New Boot

HD on MiniDV Tapes

Thanks Kevin, that clears up a lot. What current cameras that shoot HD 24 fps can record HD signals on miniDV tapes?

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.

- Edward Abbey
Ryan Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Sony and Canon cameras have pseudo-24fps recording modes, but you might be better off running those at 60i and then converting to 24 in post. You might also investigate whether the HVX200 can record DV at 24 fps to miniDV tape and simply use it as a widescreen DV camera until P2 memory becomes more affordable.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
The Sony and Canon cameras have pseudo-24fps recording modes, but you might be better off running those at 60i and then converting to 24 in post. You might also investigate whether the HVX200 can record DV at 24 fps to miniDV tape and simply use it as a widescreen DV camera until P2 memory becomes more affordable.
JVC GY-HD100U/101E

and it is a true progressive camera in HDV
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell
JVC GY-HD100U/101E
and it is a true progressive camera in HDV
Ah, good point. Now if JVC would simply upgrade the HD1/HD10 to have better controls at a reasonable price, then they'd have something.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics