Direct to Disk Quality - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:48 AM   #16

Danny...

oops, you're right. after awhile, all these numbers float around in my head and I lose track. Thanx for the correction.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye
I am simply renaming the files so as to simplify typing when making the copies and using DOS to do a copy /b file1+file2+file3 final_file.

The files can be file1.avi, etc or file1.m2t, etc. The /b makes it binary. Anyway, all it is doing is adding the files together and copying them into one large and final file.
Ye Olde Dos - excellent!

This "trick" works well for native MPEG streams (like the .m2t) but may not work for AVIs. AVIs are indexed and, usually, you can't just concatenate them.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F Miller
Ye Olde Dos - excellent!

This "trick" works well for native MPEG streams (like the .m2t) but may not work for AVIs. AVIs are indexed and, usually, you can't just concatenate them.
Did some tests and the AVI files would not concatenate but the raw .dv files would.

Windows Media player won't play them but QuickTime does.

When I loaded the test file into vegas 7 the aspect ratio was wrong. It is supposed to be 16x9 widescreen but looked like a scrunched 4x3. Even with the proper settings. I fixed that by right clicking on the file and then selected properties and uncheck 'Maintain aspect ratio' and then it works perfectly.

I don't know if this will work with other NLE's but all one can do is try it.

Sure is nice to know that at least for Vegas 7 there is a way to have one long video file.

Still wish Focus Enhancements would create a free software utility for registered users that would combine (concatenate) all of the different file types that the FS-4 HD produces to make it possible to work with one large file, solve the seamless problem in Vegas, hopefully solve other problems in other NLE's and maybe it won't be necessary to go to NTFS afterall. Also, the utility would determine if the files actually belong together so as not to combine files that are separate because one stopped and started recording at different times.

I've seen some shareware softwares that are supposed to join video files but I am not sure how well they would work when it comes to the variety of files produced by the FS-4 HD.

Hope this helps everyone here. What do you all think?

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Danny Fye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #19
New Boot

raw dv = .dv?

Looking for directly-to-disk solutions, I've found some portable Hard Disks that record in ".avi" or "dv raw" formats. I'm not sure about what this "raw dv" actually means. Is it the ".dv"?

I work with FCP, which is native QT movie files. Would this application be able to work with raw dv with no further enconding process?
Juliana Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #20
Major Player

hd-sdi to disk

I sorry I can't remember where I saw this...but some Russian gentleman was working on a disc array the could record uncompressed HD to disc.
Obviously nice for us Canon XL H1 users out there....

Anyone else hear about this ? I saw a "proto" photo...and the box was the size of the Firestore but slightly larger. Capacity was something like 1 terabyte.

Interesting....if it will ever exist ...
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics