Which JPEG Codec to use when capturing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Which JPEG Codec to use when capturing?

Wondering what preset to use to transcode capture from component from my HDV camera when choosing JPEG/Motion JPEG. I either capture using component to my RAID setup uncompressed, or transcode HDV video to a wider colours space to do correction in.

Either way, I am trying to convert video to 1080p/i JPEG.

I just exported a clip I had pulled into FCP to a QT movie and chose the preset "Blackmagic HDTV 1080i 59.94 - JPEG" and there was no option for the percentage of compression. There was no 90%, 75% or 100%. And, it looked like crap in the end - macroblocks.

Now, should I have just chosen "Photo - JPEG" or "Motion JPEG B" or "JPEG 2000"?

I want great 4:2:2 quality with little or no perceived digital grain or artifacting (no gradient banding) - and space savings of course when compared to uncompressed. I have a Decklink HD card, so if there is an advantage to using a Blackmagic Codec, I will.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Major Player

2nd try

Okay, seems that was too difficult.

What's the best value JPEG codec to store HD video as to preserve colour and have few artifacts? Just the name please, thanks.
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Robert I am not sure it was too difficult. It may be that not too many people are using this codec.
I have been searching all over but can’t find much talk about the Blackmagic cards or codec.

I have an intensity card and it allows you to capture in mjpeg. But I have been plagued with driver issues. The company that built my system is still talking to Matrox to get the right drivers to work with my other hardware.

It would be nice if we could get all the Blackmagic users giving their input so we can all learn about this card and codec. I think once all the bugs are worked out it is going to be a great tethered system.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Major Player

I've done some tests since I originally started this post - Motion JPEG B was my favourite.

I also captured from a LIVE FEED from my Canon HV20 my Mac Pro RAID in Photo JPEG - looked great. ... then I colour corrected lol.. not the best idea.

JPEG is only good as a FINAL master, not an intermediate codec, IMO. Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for your input Robert. I have been swamped with SD work so I have not had time to play with the HD stuff. It is only a mater of time before clients start asking for HD so I will need to work all the bugs out soon.

It is a shame about the color correcting. I guess that applied to effects in general. Too bad. The BM 4-2-2 codec may be the way to go for blue screen and effects.

Have you tried that codec on your Mac?
Ron Little is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics