Recording concert whilst on stage problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 29th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording concert whilst on stage problem.

I am using a older model Thinkpad firewired right into one of my TRV900's. After reviewing the footage I noticed that over 5000 frames were dropped from the capture that night. Is there a way to make sure this doesn't happen again? I have the camera currently behind the drummer and the laptop right under then tripod. Of course I think the intensity of the vibrations caused this but I dont have anywhere else to put it. Ideas?
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

ibm has an utility to prevent damage caused to disk by shocks.
it is possible this utility was activated by the vibration and try to cope by suspending disk activity for a while.
disable this feature and make sure the pc is correctly isolated from shocks.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll check into that, thanks.
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Travis,

Aside from making sure the Firewire cord is firmly attached to both the Cam and the laptop, I'd be isolating the the Cam and the laptop from the Instruments and floor to cancel the vibrations. Of course, this assumes that the sound and mechanical vibrations are what is causing this problem.

You might also consider using a longer Firewire cord to get the laptop further away from the instruments, in addition to isolating it from sound and mechanical vibration.

Before you record a live band again, you need to be testing out your equipment under similar circumstances to figure out this issue.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I had the idea of a longer cable to go onto the side of the stage or somewhere else. Btw I am using WinDV which has a ultra-light resource foot print so I don't think its the program. I've been using it for a while now and have never had any problems except for this one of course.
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics