DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   FCP X Now available to buy and download from App Store (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/497443-fcp-x-now-available-buy-download-app-store.html)

Jason Lowe June 22nd, 2011 08:59 PM

Re: Fcp x - doa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen (Post 1660776)
FCP X is DOA.

I need to be able import and export from tape, discs and cards. (Sorry the broadcast world is not tapeless and won't be for a long time).
I need TC in and out.
I need RS422.
I need composite, component and SDI in and out.
I need to be able to use third party video cards and external broadcast monitors.
I need adjustable TC in the sequence.
...and lots of other things FCP X will NOT do.

FCP X is the upgrade from iMovie not FCP3.

I can't believe I'm saying this but Apple laid a big ole stinky poop with FCP X!

If this was a whole new field for Apple, I could understand these omissions, but FCP is a mature, decade old program that's incredibly well established in the video community. Yes, this is new code, but the specs were well defined. Telling people "it'll get better" really isn't going to sit well, and little if any of this can be addressed by a quick X.0.1 update.

Looks like Avid was a little premature with their FCP-crossgrade promotion. They should have waited until FCP X was released, but they were probably worried that it was going to crush them.

That said, I think that for emerging and web-based media outlets, FCP X will be a dream come true. Fast, easy to use (a much shallower learning curve that FCP or FCE), and output to the formats they need. It truly is iMovie Pro, and I mean that as a compliment.

David Tamés June 22nd, 2011 09:15 PM

Re: FCP X Now available to buy and download from App Store

1 Attachment(s)
Seems like the reviews on the App store tell a very interesting story (CNN Money):

The Final Cut Pro X debacle - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

Matt Portwood June 22nd, 2011 09:23 PM

I have been using FCP X quite a bit over yesterday as well as today and I have mixed feelings. I did an edit start to finish. It turned out well. So is it usable? Absolutely! Are there some really important things missing? Sure. I will continue to use FCP X to learn it more thoroughly and I will eagerly await updates to add more features.

It almost feels as if this is a somewhat bipolar release. Its like FCP X can decide what it wants to be. They add support for more formats, release Motion 5 (a pro software with pro features) and Compressor 4 (also a pro app), and the app has some really nice options and features that are great. Then in other areas they took out things that we really need. In this way this release is a bit puzzling.

I am not editing for broadcast so for my needs this is a great piece of software that will only get better. At this point the biggest bummer for me is the lack of a widescreen matte generator. No more 235 edits unless I do them in FCP 7.

David Tamés June 22nd, 2011 09:25 PM

Re: Fcp x - doa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Lowe (Post 1660819)
. . . It truly is iMovie Pro, and I mean that as a compliment.

Goes to show that in the wake of all the hype, reality is now setting in. This is becoming a fascinating case study in expectations, and the meaning of the "Final Cut Pro" brand. It's a risky strategy to kill off an old product, replace it with a completely different one, and call the new version "awesome" as if it was the second coming. As "iMovie Pro 1.0" FCP X is brilliant. As the next version in the Final Cut Pro line? It's ludicrous. It's going to take the hyperspace edition of the reality distortion field to fix this situation...

Eric Pascarelli June 22nd, 2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1660259)
App Store blocks purchases if you have an early MacPro GPU. I have MacPro 3.1 (early 2008) with Radeon 2600 so I can't purchase.

I'm hoping someone with 5770 installed on MacPro early 2008 or older can confirm a purchase even though that combination is not "officially" supported. Many have reported the combination runs just fine but that doesn't mean it'll pass Apple's detection demons.

I have a 2008 8-core 3.2GHz MacPro 3,1 with a brand new 5870 card installed. FCP X seems to run fine with that combo. No rejection whatsoever by any system checks.

Response is quick and everything looks great. I have had a few crashes and background analysis hangs, but I just attribute those to the newness of the software. Not sure, of course. And I haven't tried the 5770.

One note with this setup is that there are occasional, not too intrusive display hiccups. But these occured before FCP X and are system wide. I see them in the Finder when nothing else is running,

Michael Wisniewski June 22nd, 2011 11:12 PM

As it stands right now, I think Apple has given us a very clean way to slowly transition to this new FCP. I'm happily running FCP 7 and FCP X on the same machine. One foot in the old world, and one foot in the new. I have the opportunity to learn a new workflow, while still being able to depend on old ones. When I take a big, long term perspective, that's a pretty good place to be in.

As for new features we"ll just have to wait and see.

Jim Giberti June 22nd, 2011 11:35 PM

I like your attitude David.
There's no question that X isn't ready for edit houses and there's no question as a communications consultant that I wouldn't have advised Apple to take a very different approach to their release priorities - or communicated their intent much more clearly to their base.
I love Apple products (for the most part, running literally dozens of systems I've had more than a few WTF moments) but I think their secrecy and often cultish approach does their true vision a disservice.

Anyway you and I probably pretty much agree on it all and I appreciate your candor.

Heath McKnight June 23rd, 2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski (Post 1660853)
I'm happily running FCP 7 and FCP X on the same machine. One foot in the old world, and one foot in the new. I have the opportunity to learn a new workflow, while still being able to depend on old ones. When I take a big, long term perspective, that's a pretty good place to be in.

Good attitude, and probably the approach I'll take when I dip my toes in the FCP X water.

heath

Simon Denny June 23rd, 2011 01:10 AM

I guess it's early days with FCP X and my question is... Where will this leave origination's that cut on FCP7, will we have updates on this system or is the end of the line for FCP7?

Hayden Hoyl June 23rd, 2011 01:23 AM

I know that most of you, (if not all of you that are participating in this thread), seem to be professionals in the video industry. I have enjoyed reading this long discussion and like many of you, I have also been eagerly anticipating FCPX, the only difference is that I came to offer a different and rather frightening perspective.
I just graduated and I am heading off to school next year and will be studying film. Although I have worked with FCP7 extensively for the past year or so, I don't own it myself because I have been using a friend's old laptop to do my editing. He has it on both of his mac's but I won't be able to take it with me to school. My school offered the FCP7 student edition for 250$ and the school receives all of Apple's latest hardware and software for their editing bays because of some kind of sponsorship.
Many of you have said that you will be continuing to work in FCP7 until Apple's new baby is mature enough to handle the needs of a professional market, especially one geared to handle broadcast media. This seems to be the most feasible course of action but like someone said, this leaves many new editors like myself in the dark. I have no option but to purchase FCPX and hope for the best if I come across any hiccups or problems in my workflow.
I could overcome this by starting early with a option like Adobe's line or Avid, but it seems somewhat counterproductive considering my schools editing bays, my professor's methods of teaching, and being a student, I don't have the money to buy either of these suites.
I really only have one option and I am hoping that we see some critical updates in the future that will shed some light on this "debacle", and alleviate the concerns for many of us.

Heath McKnight June 23rd, 2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Denny (Post 1660871)
I guess it's early days with FCP X and my question is... Where will this leave origination's that cut on FCP7, will we have updates on this system or is the end of the line for FCP7?

That's it, unfortunately. No more support or updates for FCP 7, FCE 4 or FC Server.

heath

Heath McKnight June 23rd, 2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden Hoyl (Post 1660873)
I really only have one option and I am hoping that we see some critical updates in the future that will shed some light on this "debacle", and alleviate the concerns for many of us.

Welcome aboard! (off topic for a second: I have family in Amarillo! Great to have you here!)

The sky's the limit for you, in one sense -- you can pick up a new NLE and just go for it, but the problem is your film school. When I helped put together the Palm Beach Film School years ago, we started with FCP 4 and Avid Xpress, and we realized quickly that FCP was easier to master and teach, so we dropped Avid.

I'm curious what my old film school will now do? Teach FCP X, keep teaching FCP 7, or move to something else? My guess would be they stick with FCP 7 for the time being, and make a move in 6 months.

heath

Simon Denny June 23rd, 2011 01:32 AM

WOW!!!!

I hope FCP X will prove to be a great NLE with future updates.

Cheers

Sergio Perez June 23rd, 2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Portwood (Post 1660827)

I am not editing for broadcast so for my needs this is a great piece of software that will only get better. At this point the biggest bummer for me is the lack of a widescreen matte generator. No more 235 edits unless I do them in FCP 7.

There IS a widescreen Matte generator. Its in the effects window. Select widescreen, and you can change the mate size to what you need, 2:35:1 included.

Also, I have FCP X installed in both a Macbook Pro 3.06 GHZ Duo with nvidia 9600GT, and in a Macpro early 2008 with a Quadro 4000 recently purchased. Works in both, but is struggling in the Macbook pro with an external monitor.

Dom Stevenson June 23rd, 2011 05:27 AM

sergio

I'm looking to get a 13 " macbookpro dual core i5 machine (the entry level new one just released) in a couple of weeks. Do you think this machine will be up to running FCPX with a monitor?