DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   FCP X Now available to buy and download from App Store (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/497443-fcp-x-now-available-buy-download-app-store.html)

Heath McKnight June 21st, 2011 01:59 PM

Re: FCP X Now available to buy and download from App Store

Interesting:

Final Cut Pro X - add-ons, graphics card requirements and supported cameras!

Once you purchase, the software update downloads sound loops, audio presets, Motion 5 templates, Motion library content, QuickTime codecs and more.

heath

Floris van Eck June 21st, 2011 02:24 PM

I just read this great and informative article on Digital Rebellion by Jon Chapell:
Final Cut Pro X - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Digital Rebellion Blog

This is exactly how I feel about this release right now. The 1.0 should've been 0.5. Many features are missing, the 32-bit Compressor 4 (nothing new) is a disgrace (Sent to Compressor 3 not working) and Apple ended support for Final Cut Studio as of today. This leaves many of us out in the cold. I do believe that many features will be added the coming months/years, but that doesn't help me or others now. Plug-in developers have also been left out in the cold... which I also think is a big mistake on Apple's side. If you read comments on Twitter and blogs, the overall sentiment is that Apple abandoned it's professional users. Let's hope they fix this mistake soon... they have enough cash in the bank to act fast. And I understand know what Larry Jordan ment with "Not ready for professional use".

I will keep playing around with the software the coming weeks, but I'm very happy that I already started learning Premiere with the release of CS5 as I'm not sure where Apple is going with it's professional software division. Users of Logic Pro should be very wary right now.

I do see potential though... as the foundation of the new application is very solid. But Apple really should listen to all the feedback... otherwise I don't see a bright Apple-FCP future for most professionals.

David Knaggs June 21st, 2011 02:47 PM

Great news to be waking up to.

Does anybody know yet whether you have to buy a separate copy for each computer, i.e. a laptop and desktop? FCS used to let you install the same copy on both for the one cost.

I'm also buying a new Mac next month. If I download FCP X to my existing Mac today, does anyone know if it's "transferable" (can be fully taken off the old computer and then installed on the new one)?

Heath McKnight June 21st, 2011 02:54 PM

Not sure about that, but I'm curious. I don't think FCS "allowed" us to just install it on two computers. When I was working at one company, if two of us fired up an FCS app, and we were both online, it would tell us to save our project and then it would automatically quit. So we had to operate without being online.

Heath

Greg Penetrante June 21st, 2011 03:12 PM

So far so good. FCP X exists with FCP 7. I am editing a DSLR project right now. Lots of new stuff to get used to, but the performance is FASTER than my CS5 in terms of trimming, adding effects (what there are) and color correcting...

-GReg

Floris van Eck June 21st, 2011 03:15 PM

So plug-ins do work?
FxFactory 2.6

It does state:
"Only a limited set of plug-ins and features are currently available in Final Cut Pro X."

Still better than nothing!

Heath McKnight June 21st, 2011 03:37 PM

Some advice on installing, especially if you're keeping FCS 3/2009:

Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Installation best practices

heath

Robert Turchick June 21st, 2011 03:45 PM

Jeez! This just keeps getting better and better! :(
I'm going to wait til all this crap gets sorted out...too many important projects for big clients to screw up my system.

Oh...thanks to all who have found the important "gotcha's". This is what makes this forum great!

Rickey Brillantes June 21st, 2011 04:08 PM

No mention about DVD Studio Pro, now how are we going to author to DVD.

Barry Gribble June 21st, 2011 04:12 PM

Been reading a lot. Sounds like a dog. It's a shame, because I'd love to embrace a new editing paradigm... but not at the cost of giving up my ability to do a real sound mix, and not if I have to partition my hard drive to use an inferior product. Ugh.

Tim Dashwood June 21st, 2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floris van Eck (Post 1660294)
So plug-ins do work?
FxFactory 2.6

It does state:
"Only a limited set of plug-ins and features are currently available in Final Cut Pro X."

Still better than nothing!

FxPlug plugins are not natively supported in FCP X, but they are natively supported in Motion 5.
The workaround is to create Motion Templates that can tunnel the effect through to FCP X. This is what has been done for most of the effects found in FxFactory Pro and this is what I, and probably all 3rd party FxPlug developers, are in the process of doing starting today.
I already have a somewhat complete version of Stereo3D Toolbox LE working in FCP X. I'm posting updates about this in the 3D forum.

The downside is that the cool dynamic UI stuff that you are used to is not supported through the Motion Templates so no grouped parameters or UI feedback.

David Knaggs June 21st, 2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 1660286)
I don't think FCS "allowed" us to just install it on two computers.

... if two of us fired up an FCS app, and we were both online, it would tell us to save our project and then it would automatically quit.

Hi Heath.

A few years ago I rang Apple and their rep said that you could (on a laptop and desktop both owned by you, but not on two desktops or on two laptops) and pointed out where it allows it in the license agreement. But you are only allowed to use it on one (either laptop or desktop) at a time, never on both at once. If you try to use both while on a network, it won't even let you start the other one up.

I'll ring Apple this morning and find out the story on my FCP X installation queries and post the results (provided they can give me an answer!).

Heath McKnight June 21st, 2011 04:25 PM

Gotcha; I'll say this, we also had different log-ins on one Mac, and if you have it open in one log-in, and you switch users and fire up FCP 5 (at the time), it would do the same thing.

heath

Josh Bass June 21st, 2011 04:35 PM

So two dumb questions:

Will this work on Leopard (NOT snow Leopard, still on Leopard), or do I have to upgrade to SL, necessitating adding another $99 to the cost?

Also, will it work on an '08 Imac (2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 3GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM)?

Tim Dashwood June 21st, 2011 04:37 PM

No to Leopard. You need OS10.6.7 just to get the Apple App Store and OS10.6.8 is recommended for FCPX, Motion 5 or Compressor 4.

Your iMac should work fine if it has at least 256MB of VRAM. 512MB is better. The App Store won't let you download it if it doesn't meet the minimum requirements.