Important info about Compressor 4 and QMaster for upgraders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old June 24th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Important info about Compressor 4 and QMaster for upgraders

Through trial and error I got Compressor 4 to access all cores on my 2009 8-core MacPro. The most important piece of info not in the help menu for people who have set up a QuickCluster with Compressor 3 is that you must open System Preferences and stop sharing in the old QMaster pref pane before you can set up a new QuickCluster thru the QMaster menu in Compressor 4. After that read the help menu for the rest of the instructions. I haven't tested the new QMaster to see if I can increase the number of Compressor instances to 4 from 3 as I have them now without having a processor collision failure.

Also, many of the presets from Compressor 3 are missing here, such as DV-NTSC. It seems Apple wants everyone to go ProRes. However it's easy enough to create new presets. However I did a test, to make a 9 minute DV file from a SD h.264 took 20 minutes. To make a ProRes file took 2 minutes and 40 secs with the file sizes nearly the same. Why the huge time difference?

Last edited by William Hohauser; June 24th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Important info about Compressor 4 and QMaster for upgraders

While doing the tests did you watch actual CPU utilization through activity monitor? My guess is that only some codecs have been optimized/enabled at this point to make full use of all cores on a machine, or that certain ones are accelerated by the GPU.
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes I did watch with activity monitor and it was very curious to say the least. The DV codec set half the processors going to 75%, the other half around 20%. The ProRes codec barely registered!
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Can the new compressor replace the old version? Will FCP7 use it or will I need to keep both versions of compressor on my machine till FCPX matures?
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That's a good question. I see no need for the old Compressor yet, the new one is identical in appearance. the Batch Monitor is gone, replaced by the new Share Monitor. Perhaps if someone needs the old presets, the old version will come in handy but I not sure how that will affect the new implementation of QMaster.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X