DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old June 26th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: FCPX may be my main NLE in the near future

The thing that really makes this confusing, is that they unveiled it at the supermeet, to 1500 pro editors. They were targeting pro editors.
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #17
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Korrow View Post
The thing that really makes this confusing, is that they unveiled it at the supermeet, to 1500 pro editors. They were targeting pro editors.
Nobody does the ultra-high gloss hoodwink like Apple, and it's not the first time we've been smacked on the head by Jobs' minions (remember the audio fiasco a few years back?) but it's most likely the first time it's been this wide-spread.

All we can hope for now is that since the public has very clearly given FCP X a thumbs-down majority vote (even App Store reviews are scathing - that's got to be a first for Apple) that the people who previously decided they weren't going to listen to their users may now finally pay attention to "pro" users, not the iMovie up-graders and go back and give "X" a swift update to bring in all the pro stuff they took out.

Apple is like any big company and they follow the money. If FCP X sales decline below the threshold that was set for it's unit sales targets (and I've no doubt it's nowhere near that target now) then the number-crunchers will report this to the decision makers and they'll end up doing *something* to revive sales.

The only thing we can do as Mac-based editors is stick with FCP 7 for as long as possible until either Apple wakes up or, somebody like Adobe makes an offer we can't refuse to switch over to another NLE package.

And to be sure, Adobe, Avid and even PC-only NLE publishers are seeing this as a major opportunity to grab new users looking for a workable, professional forward-path away from the Apple hoodwink.
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
All we can hope for now is that since the public has very clearly given FCP X a thumbs-down majority vote (even App Store reviews are scathing - that's got to be a first for Apple)
It's not so clear cut by any means. I took the time to look through all the App Store reviews & for every 1* "This is such **** that I wanted to vomit on my keyboard" there is a 5* "This is amazing I am editing at three times the pace that I could achieve with the old FCP". There are plenty of very complimentary reviews among the incredibly negative ones.

Last edited by Pete Bauer; June 27th, 2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: removed profanity
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #19
Go Go Godzilla

The average rating for FCP X on the App Store is less than 3 stars - that's a failing grade by any standard, so while there may be glowing reviews there aren't enough to call it a "recommended" app. By contrast when FCP 7 was released it was almost nearly 5 stars.
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #20
Major Player

there are updates available for it this am, some audio stuff and codec things. Looks like apple may
be working to address the issues.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #21
Major Player

No matter your view on FCPX, you have to admit this is very creative editing and illustrates the reason we all got into this business, See below.

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
there are updates available for it this am, some audio stuff and codec things. Looks like apple may
Update for Final Cut X? Version number and release-notes anywhere?
Henrik Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #23
Major Player

it was available in software update. sound effects and codecs.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
Those updates were there a few days ago. They are audio samples etc.
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
The average rating for FCP X on the App Store is less than 3 stars - that's a failing grade by any standard, so while there may be glowing reviews there aren't enough to call it a "recommended" app. By contrast when FCP 7 was released it was almost nearly 5 stars.
Opinions are very polarised so while it is an average of 3* in fact the majority of reviews are either 1* or 5*. So lots of people like it & lots of people hate it there doesn't seem to be much middle ground & the positive opinions are just as valid as the negative ones.
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #26
Trustee

The thing about most of the 5* reviews is they are from iMovie users moving up. Well yes in that case it is a pretty awesome program. I have used it a bit and from iMovie it is pretty slick. Some of the other 5* reviews are from those that never really enjoyed FCP.

FCPX basically has two targets now.

1. Those coming up from nothing or from iMovie. Pretty darn cool product.
2. Those coming from FCP or an equal NLE. Pretty darn limiting.

I will go as far as to say FCPX is a pro product just not as pro of a product as group #2 is used to.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #27
Major Player

Brilliant upload David. Funny, but also sad.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
The thing about most of the 5* reviews is they are from iMovie users moving up. Well yes in that case it is a pretty awesome program. I have used it a bit and from iMovie it is pretty slick. Some of the other 5* reviews are from those that never really enjoyed FCP.
In fact many of the 5* reviews are from experienced FCP editors (who maybe never did enjoy FCP) who make some interesting points. Unfortunately I cannot cut & paste from the App Store reviews but to paraphrase a few at random:-
Quote:
I've come from over 5 years FCP experience & far from dumbing down as some claim it is more advanced. If you take the time to learn the interface it is light years ahead of any other NLE software I've used
Quote:
Change scares us pros. As an editor for broadcast content & I'm loving the speed. If you are willing to learn & massively speed up your workflow - get right in
Quote:
I've been doing VFX & editing for decades & this is the first app that's made me sit up & want to use it
Quote:
I am a full time FCP trainer & knowing both FCP7 & now FCPX this is an amazing product and can only get better. Although it's very different it is better, faster and more helpful to the busy editor
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X